Ignition timing

Carba1984

Let's see how I explain this, I have tighteen the cylinder head, I have had to take out the rocker arms and I have reassembled them, I have done valve adjustment and I didn't fit the gauge in any, how can that be? Have I done something wrong? I have done it according to the manual

IMG_0847.jpeg

You mean all the gaps had to be adjusted again? If so thats quite likely because when you retightened the head bolts you moved the whole thing slightly downwards which would close up the gaps a little...

the amount the tappet clearance closes is down to the type of gasket a composite doesnt change as much as a double sided copper one

i have come across comlete loss of compression due to not resetting after a retorque 

i would check reset them  0.010"   0.25mm  cold   !!!!

its the only way to be safe 

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm back to the subject of ignition, let's see how I can explain this...

I have the distributor at 17° BTDC but when I check the balance of the carburetors with the ball device I see that the ball barely goes up in both, however I have a very high idling 1400 rpm and if I try to lower it to 900-1000 rpm I have problems that my car turns off when I'm parking.

Could it be that i need to open the air more to the carburetors until the ball goes up in both and lower the idle by moving the distributor? I'm sorry for the explanation, it's complicated

If you have this type you have to rotate the two parts that push into the mouth of the carb until the ball is floating about half way in its tube then you put it on the second carb and of course if balanced the ball should rise to the same position...

image.png.cfd567b1cf1465755ad7631b031b34b7.png

I have another one, I think I haven't explained myself well, what I want to know is if I can raise the idle than the carburetors so that the ball goes up and lower the idle at the distributor.

I say this because I see that not enough air enters the carburetors to raise the ball.

IMG_1026.jpeg

3 minutes ago, johny said:

If you want to lower the ball you have to open the entrance to the balancer using the centre adjuster...

The problem is that the ball doesn't go up even though the entrance is closed, and I have an idle at 1400

The inner ring with the 4 raised blobs on it can be turned in or out to increase or decrease the open annulus which increases the flow this will bring the float up the tube 

I’ve had one probably 50 years used it on my Sprite early 60’s