KYK711D Vitesse 1600/6 Fuel Gauge not working

Hi!  On switching on the ignition, I have found that the Fuel Gauge is not working!  I have fitted a New Tank Sensor and checked the Wiring from the Tank to the Gauge!  On checking the Gauge I found that there is a (Black and Green) and a (Green) coming of the connections!  Which in the Manual is Correct?  On a Large coloured Diagram which I now believe is for the 2ltr Mk2, which I had purchased of Ebay a few years ago!  shows a Black Earth wire attached to the U shaped Gauge holder? (my Temp Gauge has one of these). Do I need one? as well as the one on the rear of the tank! or is the Black and Green one correct??

Well its the bulb that needs the gauge to be earthed to work.

Is your 10v supply regulator working ok as this supplies the both the fuel and temperature gauges via the green wire (think its actually green/light green) and black/green goes off to the sender - doesnt matter which way round these are connected on the gauges as its just powering heating elements in them. The black wire on the tank completes the gauge circuit after having gone through the sender variable resistance...

Posted (edited)

Hi Johny!  As mine is a vitesse 1600/6 1966 model,  it doesn't have a Regulator.  Mk1 mk2 2lrs do have!  All I have to do is fit a black earth? I also have a spare gauge so will check those!

Cheers Martyn 

Edited by martyn wright

Ahh so your gauge needles jump around when you turn on the ignition? I assume you got the special sender to match them? The manual shows an earth connected to one of the gauge terminals but that cant be right so its the casing that must be earth but for the gauge to work the important one is the earth on the sender...

They sometimes get misplace and connected elsewhere but the gauge bulb will definitely need a return. I think with your magnetic type of gauge Im right in saying that it still doesnt matter which way round green and black wires are connected - no indication on the terminals is there?

• 2 weeks later...

Update!  It has stopped working!! Just tested the gauge and its the Tank Sender unit that's kaput!  It's the 5 screw one on the 1600/6 and there doesn't appear to be many around? Ebay range up to £60ish, Canley said they didn't do them anymore, but had a look for me anyway! They managed to source one and it cost me £53.80.  3 day delivery!

Update!  It has stopped working!! Just tested the gauge and its the Tank Sender unit that's kaput!  It's the 5 screw one on the 1600/6 and there doesn't appear to be many around? Ebay range up to £60ish, Canley said they didn't do them anymore, but had a look for me anyway! They managed to source one and it cost me £53.80.  3 day delivery!

If its 5 screw I assume you can't put it in upside down. I've just checked my tank and it's 6 screw so it can be inverted!

A long story my Vitesse tank I loaned to someone who sold his car with my GOOD tank in it, so I had to get replacement I found locally here in Oz a NEW small Herald tank, a locally made CKD item I assume. Being an early Herald item it was a 6 screw, whereas my original Mk2 Vitesse sender was a seal ring type, I was able to drill the 6 holes in the original sealer ring type sender's backing plate and made an extra annulus flange on the outside of the senders backplate to clamp it all together. So rather than an original 6 screw sender unit you could in future use a sealing ring type and modify it

YES I do have a short range fuel tank so a poly aux tank is carried in the boot!!! As needs must! 

Original Vitesse Mk2 Sealer Ring Type Tank Sender modified to 6 Bolt Type.JPG

Edited by Peter Truman
Photo Attached

Ive never seen a 5 hole sender on a Triumph is it standard? I think the gauges are moving iron type so have to have the matching sender which will be FT3331 series. Then I see you were looking for one of these back in 2020 Martyn and was that for the same car😨 

Posted (edited)

Hi Johny!  Sorry All!  For some reason i have said it's a 5 screw in fact its 6 Screw Sender lol !From the information I had, they where only fitted on the 1600/6 out of the Vitesse range?  Early Heralds also had them!

Edited by martyn wright

and if you have fitted  a bayonet ring tank it can take a 6 hole sender if you trim around the holes to make it insert 

did this on our Vit 6 years ago .

you cant mix and math the two different senders , wildly differing resistances .

Pete

Ha  had a bug this week , needs a brass bush !!!

not covid  but  a nasty ecoli type upset , 

early heralds   also   had moving iron gauges   getting senders is becoming a bit rare 

temp gauges use a specific  121997   sender  again you cant mix and match

years back we had a member plagued with supposed overheating  even to change the engine

it had a voltage stabilised sender in a moving iron system 

but the old  gauges can work well for years 

if ever contemplating a change then go for a voltage stabiliser and new gauges and senders to match

Pete

14 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Peter!  When I drain the tank and remove the Sender!  I am hoping the unit is repairable.   A friend can fix certain problems on these?

But youve got another new replacement from Canley as well right? Be interesting to see whats caused the failure anyway...

Hope it can be fixed as especially useful for you to have a spare! Pretty simple and not a lot to go wrong really although the resistance wire inside can break through corrosion/wear but still fixable with patience... 

Posted (edited)

That's it the resistance wire went on my previous one!  Only found out later it can be fixed?  Sorry! Johny, my illness has affected my memory short term mainly lol 😆  cos they're getting rare I was hoping to fix the old one and keep the new one as spare! Yep!

Edited by martyn wright
  • Like 1