Vitesse Head Gaskets

Froc

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a top - end head gasket set for my mk2 Vitesse. A quick trawl on google reveals that there are 2 types (recessed, and non-recessed). Is there an easy way to determine which type I need (engine number, for example?).

Many thanks

I purchased my head gasket via Canley Classics (excellent quality) and just told them I had a June 1971 Mk2 Vitesse.

The question of recessed etc did not appear and I received part number GEG346 - so I can only assume that there is only 1x style gasket for the Mk2 Vitesse. I've done over 2K miles since doing the cylinder head conversion and all is well. 

Regards.

Richard.

But do supply the engine number. Many engines have been swapped over the years so although yours should be non-recessed, it may have a later engine fitted.

Best to be certain!

Other thing, recessed gaskets have a small tab that sticks out at the back of the head, though they do sometimes get trimmed off  :unsure:

Vitesse never had a recessed ring to support the fire rings , can be found on latermk3 GT6

and other derivatives

all recessed types have a small rectangular tap sticks out the back of the head

so can be seen if you peer down the back of the head

always use new hard washers , bet the old ones have deformed and this relaxes the torque

run a die nut down the studs if re using them to clean old debris ,

Pete

Thanks fellas. I don't currently need to replace the head gasket. I want the top - end set as I plan to take the manifolds off to do a small job soon. Makes sense to buy a gasket set, so I will end up with some spares to hand as and when I need them. I just wanted to ensure I buy the right kit.

My engine has a HC prefix, which I think is correct for a mk2 Vitesse?

Thanks again ☺