Good quality bearings

Roger

I need some advice… Scandinavian winters are long, dark and cold. My plan is to renovate drive shafts and propshaft in order to eliminate an annoying knocking sound. Might do something with the diff that is leaking at the same time. Removing the drive shafts and replacing worn bearings is both time consuming and quite complicated. Hence, I would like to do this work once, and not have to do it again due to poor quality bearings. All bearings for the drive shafts and diff are available at the usual suppliers. However, the price make me suspisious. A roller bearing for £8.90 has definitely not been made in Germany or Sweden, and I find it unlikely that I would get good quality for that price. Sometimes Timken is mentioned, but not for early non-rotoflex cars. I would definitely prefer bearings made by AB Svenska Kullagerfabriken (SKF). My Volvo 240 had them and they never failed. Excellent quality!

I will measure outer and inner diameters of all bearings and shafts once I have dismantled the drive shafts and see if I can find anything that match using the tool below.

productselect.skf.com/rollingbearings

In the meantime, has anyone here used Timken or SKF bearings for your non-rotoflex driveshafts? Part numbers? Thoughts?

Stock_Certficate_SKF_1913.jpg

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Part numbers are usually on the actual bearings

Thanks Colin, I will see what I find when I take it apart. My 13/60 had original bearings, not sure if SKF can translate old Stanpart numbers into modern SKF part numbers, but worth to check.

Front bearing on my Herald diff was Timken M84548; easily replaced by using that number.

DSCF2037.JPG.4cd9eee0c21b93474847f93c550fc172.JPG DSCF3446.JPG.fa30d6cff756b83335e02bb1060f9da8.JPG

The side bearings of the stub axles are Hoffmann 125 V3; no idea as to the internal bearings as Mike Papworth sorted those for me way back. He would be a good contact for bearing references.

• Thanks 1

When I replaced the bearings and seals for the diff half shafts on my Vitesse sourced both locally. Was told bearings are a standard metric size and a local supplier matched the seals from one I removed.

Try 6205/C3 for bearing the seals found in a bag marked half shafts among my bits marked 28.57 41.27 9.52, please check for correctness.

Regards

Paul Newell