Vitesse 2 liter - strobe timing / pulley markings query

James H

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I must have missed the post but the car isn't an original Vitesse?

Yes but its a Mk1 1600 converted to a 2 liter, engine I believe was sourced from a Mk1 not a MK2 though, to be confirmed maybe...

PA270208.JPG

Edited by James H

11 minutes ago, johny said:

The biggest is probably front disc brakes James. These were increased in diameter and used a bigger caliper on the 2L Vitesses. Rear drums were kept the same size... 

Or, go the whole hog and have rear discs.     MGF uprights come with disc brakes, a CVJ and the same PCD as Triumphs so your wheels still fit.

Edited by JohnD

The bigger calipers have 4 bolts clamping their two halves together while the earlier only two. That engine number is a mk1 Vitesse and after the changeover point for bigger crank bearings...

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

Or, go the whole hog and have rear discs.     MGF uprights come with disc brakes, a CVJ and the same PCD as Triumphs so your wheels still fit.

Thanks and noted but I honestly don't think I push her hard enough, we'll see...

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, johny said:

The bigger calipers have 4 bolts clamping their two halves together while the earlier only two. That engine number is a mk1 Vitesse and after the changeover point for bigger crank bearings...

How is this service free !

Checked and its a negative, ooh la... will definitely look into that, cheers

Edited by James H

1 minute ago, johny said:

bigger should last longer but smaller probably gives a faster revving engine. Bearing in mind their failure rate I think I prefer the first...

Oh well...

So early MK1 2 liters might have a special appeal, interesting, thanks

yes early 2L up to HC4500 and the previous 1600 had bearings which I think were narrower and then Triumph standardised them across all their models. In the old days there were quite a few bearing failures requiring regrinds and I read a report that said if you changed big end bearings at 40k miles and mains at 70k the crank would last indefinitely. In my experience thats about right but these days the cars do less miles and I suppose get more pampered so it doesnt seem to be such a problem...

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, johny said:

yes early 2L up to HC4500 and the previous 1600 had bearings which I think were narrower and then Triumph standardised them across all their models. In the old days there were quite a few bearing failures requiring regrinds and I read a report that said if you changed big end bearings at 40k miles and mains at 70k the crank would last indefinitely. In my experience thats about right but these days the cars do less miles and I suppose get more pampered so it doesnt seem to be such a problem...

In my case however... good to know.

What about exhaust manifold and system, any differences with the increased hp ?

Edited by James H

No I think exhaust all the same as it was the mk2 engine that got bigger valves and corresponding exhaust. Saying that the mk1 2L Vitesse did get an additional mid silencer that the 1600 didnt have so if your system is original it might sound more rorty than expected... 

Just now, johny said:

No I think exhaust all the same as it was the mk2 engine that got bigger valves and corresponding exhaust. Saying that the mk1 2L Vitesse did get an additional mid silencer that the 1600 didnt have so if your system is original it might sound more rorty than expected... 

No mid silencer and rorty indeed, I like it that way...

Ok thanks again, potential diff and brakes then otherwise all good for now 👍

On 30/09/2024 at 17:01, Steve P said:

Yours is lower than my Vitesse, and that has an old TriumphTune lowered and de-cambered spring on it

Steve, while attempting to do a performance comparison between our two cars with Johny I removed all the tools and spares I'd accumulated, not in the boot but on the rear seats under the tonneau cover, and the car now sits level and higher... however I did also give the trunion bolts a good lubricant spray after Dave at Canley suggested it might explain the lean but it seems more likely the ballast was the cause, genuinely wasn't expecting that, crikey just how soft are stock springs ??

Anyway how does the ride-height and camber compare to yours now ?

Cheers

PA125463.JPG

Cheers Steve, about the same then so I'm still lower than standard, also hard to tell but you appear to have less camber, hmmm

You've really reminded me though how much I would like some larger wheels and tyres to fill the arches, those alloys are very nice but I generally prefer steel rims so theres a conundrum... wonderful colour too !

Edited by James H

Ol yeah thats more my style but an immediate search for them online proved its a case of expensive taste as usual... found this chat on another forum regarding someone with a cheaper alternative :

"The (original post author's) fitted wheels are the new 5.5J "smoothie" wheels, indicated by the "pointy" hubcaps. They are about £300 a set new. If they were the original Dunlop LP923 wheels, they are worth  loads! (probably why these are being reproduced) Tyres on wheels is tricky. If they are good quality tyres, correct size (I would say 175/70 13 is the correct size on the 5,5 wheels) and not old, they add some value.  In reality, your best bet may be ebay to sell these if you can cope with the occasional idiotic question. I expect they will fetch north of £200, possibly more. Partly depending on location."

As I say really recommend 165/80 13 tyres as their 1.9" bigger than standard diameter drops my cruising revs (at slight cost to acceleration😤), has corrected my speedo plus they fill the arches nicely. Unfortunately this size is no longer available from many manufacturers...

1 minute ago, johny said:

As I say really recommend 165/80 13 tyres as their 1.9" bigger than standard diameter drops my cruising revs (at slight cost to acceleration😤), has corrected my speedo plus they fill the arches nicely. Unfortunately this size is no longer available from many manufacturers...

Can we have a pic ? The more I look at mine the more they seem to be both undersized and inset...

2 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Coincidentally the author of the quote you posted was Clive, who used to be on here, I bought the Dunlops from him, 5 of them for £250

Unbelievable !

Any experience of or opinion on the "Smoothies" ?