List of front and rear suspension specs

I've just found this webpage that shows front and rear wheel alignment specs for all TRiumphs  from 1963-73, Tr3-4-250-5-6, Stag, 2000, Spitfire, GT6.
It's from the "Mitchell Repair Information Company", a forerunner, I think, of AutoData.  That and the list of models makes it American but no harm there.
Just a useful list!

http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/chis73/V2I738042.pdf

John

I'm taking the GT6 (69-73) info "hand-in-hand" with the Vitesse Mk2.

30psi for the rear tyres seems excessive, unless I've been running light for years ?? !! I presume that these psi ratings are using Triumph tyre size specification ??

It's certainly an informative link for reading purposes.

Hi Cliff. I read on a thread somewhere that higher pressures were better for today's tyres and not to use 24. I'm not sure on this but it certainly improves the tug of war with the steering wheel! I have some six year old tyres that I'm trying to wear out anyway!

Aidan

My Haynes says for GT6, 24 on the back 20 on the front, which I always think is too low. I've also read for modern tyres, 30 on the back and 26 on the front. I did inadvertently pump the front up to 30, and wondered why I kept lock the front wheels.

Hello Aidan & Doug.

That's interesting that both of you have come in on the 30psi; it's not something I had thought about, normally keeping the pressures around the F24 R26 or F25 R27. 

I think the 20 / 24 readings are too low; but I wonder if these were set for cross-ply tyres ??

Taking the car for a run on Sunday so will try a F25 R30 combination.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard, Haynes doesn't specify cross ply or radial for the GT6 which suggests it only came with radials. 

On the Vitesse , CP & R are both 22 on the front  and 24 & 26 on the rear.

Go on Richard. F26 R30, you know you want to! :lol:

Just to add it doesnt state if the specs are unladen or at loaded to a static ride height (as many of the

triumph specs require)

Tyre pressures on classics plays a bigger part of the suspension rate and ride quality than than a modern where the suspension does nearly all the work and the rubber band does less

we need a web site thats compares load , pressure and footprint size with CP or R to work out if more is better

its load and pressure that determine the foot print ,, so a rise in pressure makes a smaller footprint

So whos going to lay under a thick sheet of glass and draw round the contact footprint

I didn't think that tyre pressures were an important part of the dataset.

Anyway pressures are a facet of your personal driving style. Monitoring either tread temperature just after a typical drive or longer term tread wear will reveal if the pressure you use is right for you.

John