Engine and gearbox removal

MJH2454

I'm going to lift out my Spitfire engine gearbox and overdrive as one unit, I don't want to remove the bonnet as it fits very well and I'm concerned it may not go back as well if I remove it.

Reading the Haines manual it suggests that the unit will need tipping to 45 degrees to remove, is there enough room if I leave the car on its wheels or should I put it up on axle stands to gain a bit of room underneath to allow for the angle?

Edited by MJH2454

7 hours ago, MJH2454 said:

I'm going to lift out my Spitfire engine and gearbox as one unit, I don't want to remove the bonnet as it fits very well and I'm concerned it may not go back as well if I remove it.

Reading the Haines manual it suggests that the unit will need tipping to 45 degrees to remove, is there enough room if I leave the car on its wheels or should I put it up on axle stands to gain a bit of room underneath to allow for the angle?

I have removed the engine from my spit from the side and needed to get the car up a few inches to get the legs of the hoist under. I can't see why the whole unit won't come out if the car was up on 4 axle stands. But is it worth the risk of causing damage if something goes wrong. I would remove the bonnet and mark where the adjusting bolts are so it goes back in the same position. It makes things a lot easier.

Danny

MJH,

I've shown this sequence of pics before, but you may like to see them.    I remove the engine and gearbox from my Vitesse (six cylinder, so engine 'n' gearbox longer than a Spitfire) using a fixed winch from a large roof beam and a 'Leveller' to tilt the assembly:

Engineoutsequence.thumb.jpg.53d0b1df796114fbae3c825886b98d71.jpg

Read like a comic strip.  Strip all connections, remove radiator. Lift the assembly and then tilt it/  Move the car back (or the crane forwards) /  Turn the assembly transversely and level/  Lift the assembly and push the car forwards as far as possible (YES! Protect the wind screen - there is double bubble wrap under the brown sheet)/  Close the bonnet.    Then you can push the car back/crane forward and lower the engine/gearbox assembly to the ground, or a trolley.

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1