Compression Pressures, Vitesse 2L Mk2

PatK

Ho ho😁

I see Rimmers have rubber valve stem seals for our cars (two different types even) that, although not original, might help reduce oil loss and/or cause valve seizure. Has anyone had experience of either outcome?

image.png.a541f31870a84ad99980bf629be9c3e8.png

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

advise you dont use plugs with an R in the suffix 

Pete

Have been using Bosch WR78 sparkplugs in my 2L MK1 Vitesse for some time and find the car starts easier after a few days of non use.

Not found any noticeable change to performance or fuel consumption, but that's just my car.

Regards

Paul.

5 hours ago, johny said:

Ho ho😁

I see Rimmers have rubber valve stem seals for our cars (two different types even) that, although not original, might help reduce oil loss and/or cause valve seizure. Has anyone had experience of either outcome?

Thats great Johny, I was going to ask if there were valve stem oil seals made for our cars and when I do the head overhaul, I will definitely fit them. I don't think that they could valve seizure. My 1965 Jaguar XK engine has them  and valve seizures and extra wear because of lack of lubrication has never been an issue.

4 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Have been using Bosch WR78 sparkplugs in my 2L MK1 Vitesse for some time and find the car starts easier after a few days of non use.

Not found any noticeable change to performance or fuel consumption, but that's just my car.

Regards

Paul.

Thanks Paul I have the Bosch 4 electrode ones on mine and they are great, starting never has been a problem

8 minutes ago, PatK said:

Thats great Johny, I was going to ask if there were valve stem oil seals made for our cars and when I do the head overhaul, I will definitely fit them. I don't think that they could valve seizure. My 1965 Jaguar XK engine has them  and valve seizures and extra wear because of lack of lubrication has never been an issue.

Well each make of car is different and if you replace the guides I wouldnt have thought it a good idea to use seals as well unless theyre bronze guides in which case best to ask the machine shop. We have had rebuilt heads with sticky valves...

there have been a good few cases on here about bronze guides seizing

triumph valves are a rattling good fit compared to others and with a interrupted oil supply to the rockers does not have 

any vast level of oil in the valve stem zones  hence no seals needed unlike any OHC engine with loads of oil  that does 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Had my Vitesse 2L MK1 head converted to unleaded last year by a local engine shop they used bronze valve guides and the engineer doing the work asked if I had any other old valves as he preferred them to the currently available new ones. So engine currently has bronze valve guides old valves selected from my stock, removed them from several spare heads, no valve stem oil seals and does a bit over a thousand miles to a pint of oil.

Regards

Paul.

7 hours ago, johny said:

Ho ho😁

Thought that anything that reduces the supply of oil below that which the designers expected might lead to seizures, but then I'm not an engine designer.

Regards

Paul.

6 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Thought that anything that reduces the supply of oil below that which the designers expected might lead to seizures, but then I'm not an engine designer.

Regards

Paul.

Presumably if your guides are worn more oil can go down them so using seals reduces this but hopefully by not too much. Its interesting to note that on their website Rimmers say the use of seals maybe recommendable when fitting a rocker oil feed kit...

Just now, johny said:

Presumably if your guides are worn more oil can go down them so using seals reduces this but hopefully by not too much. Its interesting to note that on their website Rimmers say the use of seals maybe recommendable when fitting a rocker oil feed kit...

Sounds like a good deal for Rimmers, purchase our oil feed kit then we will sell you oil stem oil seals to cure the problem it causes.

Regards

Paul.

• Haha 1

Rocker feed kit not needed unless you have non standard rockers like I have on my 2.5 Vitesse, roller rockers need a bit more oil but then restricted to less than 1mm. Personally I think if you need seals on the pushrods then they are out of spec, address that rather than fitting seals.

These engines are still going strong after 5o+ years so must be robust, how many plastic ancillaried moderns will be? .

S

yes think valve seals are probably a left over from the day when our cars were everyday transport rather than the cossetted no expense spared hobby they generally are now. Back then rather than an expensive job to replace guides the owner would probably have opted to whack on some seals over the weekend and have the car ready for Monday morning😁