Coil supply.

DerekS

When I got my 1500 Spitfire ( 9 years ago, time flies! ) it had been fitted with a 12v Lucas Sport coil and the ballast wire was taped up. An ignition switch controlled feed has been taken from just beside the switch itself but there is a White and Yellow wire that appears to also be an ignition switch controlled feed, from the starter solenoid, at the top, a small terminal. Is the feed taken from beside the switch needed? I can't see the point, or am I missing something blindingly obvious, please?

(this is my 2nd attempt at posting this, the first wasn't too clear...

I've been a bit hasty posting this, with further investigation it's obvious that I do need this feed, the question is now, is beside the ignition switch the best place to pick up a controlled feed or is there a better, recommended place?

I realise this must be an old chestnut...

If the ballast wire was originally a white with a pink trace then you best connect to where or as close to the terminal on the the ignition switch , tombe right it should be a white wire used.

the white yellow from the starter solenoid can be removed as this gave a 12v boost when cranking but not need now.

IF the car had a ceramic balast then the feed to this would be 12v from the ign switch and this could be

used as a normal 12v ignition supply to the coil +ve terminal

the -neg is the lead to the dizzy

pete

Pete, thanks for your response, I've just been out to the garage and disconnected the white yellow wire at the coil. Now then...the car has never, in my ownership, fired up first time from cold, it's always taken 4 or 5 turns of the key. I've been right through the ignition and fuel systems time and again. When the engine's hot, the starter barely has to turn and she fires up right away never a problem. It runs and drives beautifully.

With the white yellow disconnected it has fired up like never before, you'd honestly think there was a new battery fitted. I was thinking that a new battery was needed to be honest, although I do use a CTEK battery conditioner/monitor/charger. Disconnecting that wire has made so much difference, I'm absolutely delighted and thankyou!

I've got to ask though, WHY has it made that much difference?

It should have been connected to the starter lead terminal, there, s no real reason why it makes any difference, if it was still there it would just have or should not have any effect

Unless the starter drops the voltage and theres some loss , down this lead to the coil

oposite to whats supposed to occur

but if its gone and its solved a few seconds cranking that a plus worth the trying

Going back to before ...If this ballast cold starting aid was not getting a feed down the white yellow when cranking then its unlikely to fire until you release the key from the crank position and the remaining decreasing revs from trying to start now gets its balasted feed from the switch and it reluctantly

just about fires up just as the starter disengages.

you get I will, I wont , I will, trys to fire but often never quite does

If that makes any sense

pete

derek, always happy to help or confuse.   

isnt it good when its a cheap fix that works ,

theres a guy on TV he's 104 got a full head of hair and wants his first tatoo.

says its all down to hard work and a whisky every morning and evening....think i like the whisky idea best  

Pete

It's very pleasing indeed when this happens, something sorted without throwing loads of money at it! I have to say a lot of the pleasure that I've had from the car has been from such as this, with sound advice of course! Very rewarding!