Time for a new front vertical link ?

And just to rub salt into the wound, it is not unusual for the trunnion to clout the sidewall of the tyre as it collapses.

Hitting the tyre sidewall inflicts a lot of internal damage to the sidewall, resulting in a weak point that will eventually burst, probably at the most inconvenient and dangerous time.

Vertical link failures usually happen at slow speed when near full steering lock - front tyre sidewall blowouts usually happen at high speed.

If you've had a VL failure, examine the tyre very carefully and if there is any sign of the sidewall having been struck by the trunion, replace the tyre as well.

Has anyone got an old herald or vitesse 6 ( type 12 calipers) drivers side vertical link I can borrow to move the car into my garage? It was impossible to move on a gravel drive with the sheared one so it’s in the neighbors garden till I can move it. You can have it back once it’s under cover. 

Im in Surrey 

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Not sure if it's any use to you but I'm bound to have some in the garage, although not the closest geographically will have to post...

Let me know if it's any help.

Where abouts are you Colin?

Paul

the Mk 2 ones are different unfortunately but thanks for the offer.  

I'm in Northern Ireland, and have a few Herald type 14 links, especially worn ones that will do as a stop gap (also have early drum brake ones) but postage might be more costly than one from the mainland - provided of course they fit your car, as some of the other posters tell me they're different.