1972 Triumph Spitfire project

Conor L

Hi everyone, I'm interested in buying a 1972 Spitfire project that has recently been advertised for sale. The body and chassis are structurally sound and requires little prep for paint. The 1300 engine runs however slightly lumpy. I spoke to the guy and he says hes had offers of £1000 but I don't think its worth that much. Ive got a couple of photos to see what your opinions are about the car and also how much you'd pay for it. I would appreciate all of you views on this car.

Many Thanks,

Conor :-)

post-1699-0-29310600-1459635671_thumb.jpg

post-1699-0-99759400-1459635674_thumb.png

If the body really is almost rust free, and you have checked it over carefully, and is complete the asking price is around the correct figure.

the car apears to have overdrive, that alone would set you back £250+. Check by jacking the rear off he ground, start he car up, run it through the gears and flick the overdrive in. Should feel it "change gear" as the OD kicks in but may take a good few seconds. If it doesn't work, problems are often poor electrics., so not a deal breaker but a strong negotiating point. However, many sellers won't want you to have the car doing 40mph whilest jacked up!

Really you want somebody who knows the cars to have a look over it. Have you asked at your local club meeting for a volunteer?

• Like 1

Is that a plate welded into the passenger side foot well? Does the car come with the missing bits? Doors? Wheel trim centres? Carpets? Ash tray? What was screwed to the facia on the passenger side? A lot of rust treatment to the usual places, the rear wheel arch repair looks a bit "lumpy", poorly applied filler? Needs a new rubber gaiter for the gear stick. Tyres don't look too good. You may have to spend a bit! Agree with Clive, get down to a club meeting and recruit an expert, it will only cost the promise of liquid refreshment!

If the body really is almost rust free, and you have checked it over carefully, and is complete the asking price is around the correct figure.

the car apears to have overdrive, that alone would set you back £250+. Check by jacking the rear off he ground, start he car up, run it through the gears and flick the overdrive in. Should feel it "change gear" as the OD kicks in but may take a good few seconds. If it doesn't work, problems are often poor electrics., so not a deal breaker but a strong negotiating point. However, many sellers won't want you to have the car doing 40mph whilest jacked up!

Really you want somebody who knows the cars to have a look over it. Have you asked at your local club meeting for a volunteer?

Hi Clive, thanks for the reply. I haven't asked anyone from the club yet but I will keep that in mind. However, being 16 and still in full time education £1000 is out of my price bracket  but there is a 78 car that needs more work and its offers only so I'm interested in that one as well.

Is that a plate welded into the passenger side foot well? Does the car come with the missing bits? Doors? Wheel trim centres? Carpets? Ash tray? What was screwed to the facia on the passenger side? A lot of rust treatment to the usual places, the rear wheel arch repair looks a bit "lumpy", poorly applied filler? Needs a new rubber gaiter for the gear stick. Tyres don't look too good. You may have to spend a bit! Agree with Clive, get down to a club meeting and recruit an expert, it will only cost the promise of liquid refreshment!

Hi, thanks for the reply. The car is mostly complete however I haven't stood in front of the car so I cant tell what behind the body filler on the car.