Ram Pipes

Darren Groves

Hello Darren.

If you like doing frequent engine rebuilds go for it. 

The filtration value of such is poor if the actual filter element is either compromised or removed totally, so engine wear increases. You know that anyway. 

Great for track days and the like but for standard stuff probably uneconomical - it's very likely that mpg will increase as you may need to enrich to balance the additional air intake; although this last point is only my understanding / belief.

More often than not owners pop them on for acoustic enjoyment especially where Webers are concerned.

For me K&N filtering gives the best of both worlds - better air intake volume whilst still filtering the grot. A win-win situation.

Regards.

Richard.

The mesh filters really screw up the airflow.

Best solution is rampipes either inside an airbox (I am using a sprint airbox, modified with a 3" intake replacing the twin inlet pipes, and a big K+N cone on teh end somewhere TBA) or inside K+N filters. Short half-round types from an MGB are very good.

Not yet, work in progress! (as in last seen a month ago)

It is going on my zetec spit.

The sprint (or TR7) airbox is handily square. I cut the flat back panel off it, and cut a bit of 2mm steel to size. That is probably a touch thick, but the original is thick (maybe 1.8mm?) I have not yet cut the intake holes, but should be easy enough with a holesaw.

The top part I bought a 300mm length of 3" pipe for a fiver off the bay. But bear in mind my engine will at some point be heading for 180odd BHP, it needs 3".

I will see if I can dig it out later and take a pic.

Another idea. My old 2.5 vitesse came with a std airbox, but it had K+N filter elements fitted and held in place with silicone. And rampipes. The silicone sounds inconvenient, but in honesty it wasn't. Cleaned once a year (everyday car often doing 10K) 

Not sure how big the mgb "rampipes" are http://www.mgexp.com/phile/1/306170/MGB_Coopers_Bell_Mouths_Unrestored.JPG  but they may well hold a filter element in place nicely. The version I bough were from a (genius) mini tuner  called Calver Tuning, I may still have them. Thinking about it, the K+N's may fit inside a sprint airbox. I need to rummage in the garage and take some measurements. And stop rambling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pics of my airbox-in-progress. I must extract my finger!

post-233-0-99125000-1461857536_thumb.jpgpost-233-0-05350600-1461857554_thumb.jpgpost-233-0-91517000-1461857557_thumb.jpgpost-233-0-73689600-1461857561_thumb.jpg

Note the one with the un-cut backplate (has not yet been welded together) can be cut to accept any carb/carbs within reason. Very popular with weber conversions, and now ITB's

post-233-0-83652600-1461857549_thumb.jpg

post-233-0-23443100-1461857565_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Clive,

Is that as big as you can get with the actual airbox?

The objective should be to allow the air to slow down as much as possible at the intake, because of Bernouille.

Fast moving air is low pressure air, and that moving through your 3" (?) intake tube may be going at 60mph at 7K!

Allow it to enter a much large chamber, and it will slow down, its pressure will rise and so it can be more easily drawn into the bores.

John