Time to change - Thermostat Housing - Vitesse MK2

Paul H

Normal to a point, but that is bad. Not worth repairing, especially if new available (if reasonable) and good s/h fairly easy to source.

s/h on ebay was more expensive than new and quality was dubious - where else can you source s/h ?

Mine was exactly in the same state when I removed it to do my unleaded head conversion.

I knew there was something amiss when the PO had applied copious amounts of gasket seal on the mounting faces.

It was even worse when I took the housing off and found no thermostat fitted - also explained why the engine took so long to warm up.

The housing had become so eroded that it would have been impossible to fit the thermostat in position and achieve a watertight fitting. Additionally I also noticed that the housing had become slightly porous allowing a tiny drop of water to escape every now and again. 

Personally I think this is an item that really falls in to "replace only" category; by all means give the repair a go to test your restoration skill but knowing you have a sound article that fits without leaking is a worry off your mind.

S/H units are probably no better in  most cases as to what you have shown in the picture - hence that's why they are being sold.

To reduce the corrosion action, ensure you have the correct amount of anti-freeze mix; I normally run a 50% mixture be it iron or alloy head (certainly 50% for an alloy head).  

The correct thermostat gasket (supplied by Canleys with the thermostat) and instant gasket on the housing face will do the trick.

Finally do not over-tighten the nuts as the housing may distort slightly through the bolt hole causing a weak spot to leak OR even worse a sheared off bolt / stud at the head face (deep joy !!). 

Regards.

Richard.

Mine was exactly in the same state when I removed it to do my unleaded head conversion.

I knew there was something amiss when the PO had applied copious amounts of gasket seal on the mounting faces.

It was even worse when I took the housing off and found no thermostat fitted - also explained why the engine took so long to warm up.

The housing had become so eroded that it would have been impossible to fit the thermostat in position and achieve a watertight fitting. Additionally I also noticed that the housing had become slightly porous allowing a tiny drop of water to escape every now and again. 

Personally I think this is an item that really falls in to "replace only" category; by all means give the repair a go to test your restoration skill but knowing you have a sound article that fits without leaking is a worry off your mind.

S/H units are probably no better in  most cases as to what you have shown in the picture - hence that's why they are being sold.

To reduce the corrosion action, ensure you have the correct amount of anti-freeze mix; I normally run a 50% mixture be it iron or alloy head (certainly 50% for an alloy head).  

The correct thermostat gasket (supplied by Canleys with the thermostat) and instant gasket on the housing face will do the trick.

Finally do not over-tighten the nuts as the housing may distort slightly through the bolt hole causing a weak spot to leak OR even worse a sheared off bolt / stud at the head face (deep joy !!). 

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard , thanks for advice - appreciated . Re instant gasket - is it both sides of the gasket or just thermostat housing side 

Best regards 

I placed the thinnest of beads (smear really) around the cylinder head face and positioned the gasket on that and then another thin coating on the actual housing face. It spreads well when compressed hence the need for a super thin bead. Wipe off the excess once fully bolted down.

Never had a problem since doing it and that was over 2K miles ago. 

Regards.

Richard.

some ford fiesta housing are used by many  its in steel so doesnt corode like alloy

that erosion is common with the old style blue antifreeze of years back it ate anything ally

the alternative then was the green stuff , which was alloy proof,  ...

things have moved on a bit since the 70s....

some ford fiesta housing are used by many  its in steel so doesnt corode like alloy

that erosion is common with the old style blue antifreeze of years back it ate anything ally

the alternative then was the green stuff , which was alloy proof,  ...

things have moved on a bit since the 70s....

Hi Pete - what anti freeze is best to use and at what %  -

Best regards 

Our engines suit glycol based , 50% is the normal protection

there are many others but if you use them its clear that the system needs a thorough clean

its advised that mix glycol with Pink OAT will form a solid jelly

never come across that myself but best not try it.

Aiden did alot of trials with cleaners on here and the cheapo washing soda seem to clear the most crud

Dont leave it in for a month or you again disolve the alloy parts

a couple of cupfulls and a few good runs to circulate then drain and flush with water

always worked for me , any make of glycol will work

pete

• Like 1

Routine checks on my recently acquired Vitesse Mk2 revealed a very worn thermostat housing - Ive ordered a replacement from Canleys  - Is this wear normal ? Could it be rebuilt using an alloy filler 

Spot the difference !!

post-1431-0-42190200-1461324559_thumb.jpg