GT6 MK3 best place for the coil?

jimmyrjm

Hi all,

I was just wondering why some GT6 MK3's have the ignition coils attached to the body and some attached to the engine? Originally I believe they were attached onto the engine but there are mountings on the front of the body for the ignition bracket along with the wiper motor device. I have attached pictures below of my set up before and after repositioning it. is there earthing issues if its attached to the body?

I much prefer it attached to the body, but what is best body or engine? and what is original.. 

Any clarification on this topic would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jim.

post-1788-0-92671500-1471285700_thumb.jpg

post-1788-0-67154600-1471285721_thumb.jpg

post-1788-0-16398600-1471285736_thumb.jpg

The coil on the engine is standard. People do ask, on here, concerned about over heating but that's the way Triumph designed it.

I presume that's a windscreen washer motor? There and next to it is normally where the servo sits, if you have one. On a  72 a servo could have been factory fitted as an extra and later removed leaving the mounting holes.

Looking at your pictures again I notice two holes in the bulk head towards the front, between the battery and the coil. This is where the hydraulic T piece normally sits that splits between front and rear brakes. Also you have a length of brake pipe hanging horizontally behind the engine. This is normally attached to the front of the bulk head and would attach to the T piece. This all makes me think your hydraulics have been reorganised and you may possibly have had a servo.

The coil on the engine is standard. People do ask, on here, concerned about over heating but that's the way Triumph designed it.

I presume that's a windscreen washer motor? There and next to it is normally where the servo sits, if you have one. On a 72 a servo could have been factory fitted as an extra and later removed leaving the mounting holes.

Looking at your pictures again I notice two holes in the bulk head towards the front, between the battery and the coil. This is where the hydraulic T piece normally sits that splits between front and rear brakes. Also you have a length of brake pipe hanging horizontally behind the engine. This is normally attached to the front of the bulk head and would attach to the T piece. This all makes me think your hydraulics have been reorganised and you may possibly have had a servo.

Hi Doug thanks for the response!

Yes it's a windscreen washer motor. And yes that makes perfect sense. The last owner didn't have the servo fitted and I just prosumed that the mk3 just didn't have one. Would it be a good idea to buy a servo and fit it? Are there major benefits to having one? And then put the coil back to its original position.

Thanks for spotting the brake pipe, the picture I have attached Thats how it should be isn't it? And what kind of mounts should I use to mount it to the bulkhead do you know?

Regards,

Jim.

post-1788-0-06803100-1471295022_thumb.jpeg

Here's a page from Canley Classics

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mkiii-hydraulic-pipes-front-lhs-single-system-fitted-from-commission-no-ke/kf20001

The parts you want are the screw YA0403 and the clip 59308. 3 off each I think. I have very similar plastic clips I got from Wicks for tidying electrical cables which would do the job.

! I'd be interested to know what's happened to the hydraulic T piece. I hope it's not dangling! :lol: 

People tell me servos don't make breaking better, just easier. I would say making it easier IS better!  Having had a dead one for a long time, I now have a replacement and I wouldn't be without it. If I bought another Triumph without a servo, that would be the first upgrade.

Doug, what size master cylinder do you have fitted? servo equipped cars had a 0.75, which would make braking feel hard and a bit "wooden" however, all the other non-servo cars were fitted with 0.70, which gives better mechanical advantage (about 16%)

And the argument could go on about servo's. If you are happy with the feel of the brakes, don't bother. If you are finding them hard, or a "shock" after driving modern cars, fit a servo. The actual braking from a mechanical point of view is unchanged. Probably more important is to use quality brake pads, which make a huge difference.

As to coil, probably better on the bulkhead, and no idea why Triumph put it on the engine. But again, it seems to make little if any difference. If doing hard or endurance driving, there may be a benefit to bulkhead location.

As to T piece, spitfires had then on the chassis near where the GT6 oil filter is. I can't remember, but it is possible that the GT6 should be in the same place, and factory servo cars moved it up to the bulkhead? the chassis has a little mounting bracket for the T, and I bet GT6 do too (even the late cars) Dougs pint about clips is important too, especially with copper pipe which can work-harden if it can move about.

• Like 1

Clive, I have a 0.75. I thought I had a master cylinder problem and fitted a friend's spare 0.70 . This scarily moved the travel half way down the pedal, I re-bled the brakes but, no difference. I really didn't noticed any difference in mechanical advantage. there was no "oo that's better!". 

From feb 73, the servo and 0.75 M/C were fitted as standard and the braking hydraulic configuration altered, servo on the front only, larger rear brake cylinders and  larger shoes. Previously the servo fitted as an extra, worked on the standard system, all four wheels and 0.70 M/C. Which makes think although 16% correct for a non servo system it is difficult to gauge once a servo is fitted and with what configuration.  As to "wooden", that's never a word that occurred to me to describe my brakes! I have mintex 11/44s and my brakes are excellent.

T pieces. No. GT6, servo or not, has them on the front corner by the battery. In Jim's last picture you can see the fixing holes where it used to be. There is another T piece further down at the front on the chassis, splitting the feed between the two front wheels, this may be what you are thinking about?

• Like 1

Here's a page from Canley Classics

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mkiii-hydraulic-pipes-front-lhs-single-system-fitted-from-commission-no-ke/kf20001

The parts you want are the screw YA0403 and the clip 59308. 3 off each I think. I have very similar plastic clips I got from Wicks for tidying electrical cables which would do the job.

! I'd be interested to know what's happened to the hydraulic T piece. I hope it's not dangling! :lol:

People tell me servos don't make breaking better, just easier. I would say making it easier IS better! Having had a dead one for a long time, I now have a replacement and I wouldn't be without it. If I bought another Triumph without a servo, that would be the first upgrade.

Okay I will look into order some.

Well the hydraulic t piece on mine is attached to the chassis at the front see picture below. Is this right?

Regards,

Jim.

post-1788-0-24600400-1471337225_thumb.jpeg

Doug, what size master cylinder do you have fitted? servo equipped cars had a 0.75, which would make braking feel hard and a bit "wooden" however, all the other non-servo cars were fitted with 0.70, which gives better mechanical advantage (about 16%)

And the argument could go on about servo's. If you are happy with the feel of the brakes, don't bother. If you are finding them hard, or a "shock" after driving modern cars, fit a servo. The actual braking from a mechanical point of view is unchanged. Probably more important is to use quality brake pads, which make a huge difference.

As to coil, probably better on the bulkhead, and no idea why Triumph put it on the engine. But again, it seems to make little if any difference. If doing hard or endurance driving, there may be a benefit to bulkhead location.

As to T piece, spitfires had then on the chassis near where the GT6 oil filter is. I can't remember, but it is possible that the GT6 should be in the same place, and factory servo cars moved it up to the bulkhead? the chassis has a little mounting bracket for the T, and I bet GT6 do too (even the late cars) Dougs pint about clips is important too, especially with copper pipe which can work-harden if it can move about.

Thanks for the information there that's really cleared me up on a lot, the hydraulic t piece is indeed on the chassis where you said and yes I think I will wait until the car is done bled the brakes and tested them for a while before I buy a servo as it might not be needed.

Thanks!

Jim.

daft as it may seem the coil position could be down to how they tested the engines in the factory, may be the 6 pot didnt have the space for a separate coil, ???

some ideas are the  water block aids cooling better than under bonnet air temperatures   ....you takes your choice 

many manufactures ran engines on town gas and drove  2nd engine as the running brake, so things like carb setting was a mechanically set X turns of the screws , but never ran on fuel till the despatch bay ,  balancing and setting were not set to gas flowed specs till mid 70s  so the coil  may be integral with the 6 pot build and 4 pots had a slave hanging from the rig ( as its not fitted at engine dress )    just some old clues about 60 70s production 

from the various Triumph video's i've  not seen engine testing after production dressing.

anyone got a time machine  ???

Pete