185 tyre profile to body

Dave, on a Vitesse, I don't know. On the Spit we had to roll the front arches to stop any rubbing but they don't stick out. These are on the oval hole 5.5J wheels. My tyres are the rocking-horse droppings 185/65R13, as used briefly on, I think, an Opel Corsa or something and they fill the Spit wheel arches nicely - virtually the same diameter as 155R13 and 175/70R13. Previously I had 185/60R13 and be aware that these are definitely a bit small in the arches - same width though. I had to import the 185/65R13 from Europe as they are unobtainable in the UK - unless you know different.

As Rich says, more steering effort!

Cheers, Richard

It also depends on the springs  you have. I run my Herald with a Spit Mk IV swing spring on the back, and spitfire road springs on the front. It actually rides well, but there is not a lot of clearance on the rear sidewalls on standard 155 SR13 Goodyears on standard spitfire road wheels!

Regards

Steve

Hello Dave.

Just out of interest what is the width of your wheels that these 185's are sitting on ??

The pro-rata rolling radius of large tyres on wheels that are too narrow can have a significant effect. 

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Dave.

Personally I think 5J are probably too narrow for 185 tyres and perhaps 5.5J or 6J would be more suitable.

No doubt there will be some different views on this but there are some good websites which give min & max tyre sizes on the relevant width wheels.

Just my view.

All the best.

Richard.

Dave.

Looks as though you are in by a whisker and 5J will handle 185's as a maximum !!

The following may be of interest:

Tyres with
minimum tyre width
for wheel: 5x13 155/65R13 155/70R13 155/80R13

Tyres with
ideal tyre width
for wheel: 5x13 165/55R13 165/60R13 165/65R13 165/70R13 165/75R13 165/80R13 175/50R13 175/55R13 175/60R13 175/65R13 175/70R13 175/80R13

Tyres with
maximum tyre width
for wheel: 5x13 185/55R13 185/60R13 185/65R13 185/70R13 185/80R13

Taken from the following website:

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

Good luck.

Richard.

Thanks for that.

I would like to fit 165's, though at the mo it seems the front nearside outer edge tyre is wearing more ,sticking out more and showing pos camber and has twice as many shims between the lower wishbone brackets as the nearside (which shows neg camber).

I can't see any visual damage to chassis (front cross member and lower points of rear chassis rails are the same using a spirit level), wishbones,vertical link.

The nearside spring appears to have sagged more (about 10mm shorter with the car at rest), though don't know if this would account for the different cambers/profiles to the wing.

Cheers, Dave

10mm not a lot, but you could swap the computer shock/springs over, that should help diagnosis as to it being springs or chassis.

You say the side with pos camber also has loads of shims at the bottom wishbone. You do mean the tyre leans out at the top? Just double checking. If so, that is a worry. It can be overcome using wishbone brackets with extra long studs and even more shims (or ideally a single thick shim) but something is not quite right.

Getting the geometry correct transforms the handing of these cars, from being twitchy and jumpy to sure-footed and stable.

If the tyres are too wide, 165/70 may be ideal?

Thanks Clive

Will swap shocks/springs over when get a bit of time.

The side that is proud of the wing, with more shims is showing pos camber (This has just been a rough check, using a 13" length of straight batton across the wheel rims and a small spirit level. It's showing about 4mm pos camber against that 13", if that makes sense.

Cheers, Dave