Scissor jack

Paul H

Just putting a mini tool kit to carry in the boot. Plan was to use the scissor jack . This could be under main chassis member or it would be easier to use as per handbook , is this recommended . My chassis is in reasonable nick though 47 years old . I've also included an axle stand though this is has collaspable legs so easier to stow

Any input welcomed

Regards

Paul

I always carry something to spread the load of the jack, and put it under the points on the main rails where the outriggers give a double skin and so extra thickness. I never jack on the side rails or outer outrigger ends; just a personal thing no matter the condition of the chassis. I just don't like jacking thin metal. 

Incidentally can someone clarify if early Heralds had a bottle jack, or a yellow bottle-shaped jack with a screw mechanism? I have one and I'm nearly sure it was original equipment but am hoping for definitive proof. 

• Like 1

I believe they were always scissor jacks. Mine has an old Fiat Punto scissor jack in the boot, which came free from one of our workshop mules at the college where I work. It is pretty close in appearance to OE.

A scissor jack under a body mount is fine for changing a wheel in an emergency, but I would not trust it for anything else. A decent trolley jack and axle stands are a lot safer, The worst one on Heralds is the outer half of the front outriggers, which bend right in if the MOT tester jacks it there and are a pig to straighten out. I now have our local test station house-trained, and they even put cardboard pads on to protect the chassis paint!

Regards

Steve