Prop shaft sliding joint. Front or rear?

Waynebaby

Hi folks,

The Haynes manual says this about the prop shaft sliding joint - "Note that the sliding joint must be adjacent to the differential unit"

Guess what the sliding joint on my Mk3 GT6 is adjacent to? Yes, the gearbox.

Can somebody please tell me if my prop shaft really is on the wrong way round? 

Wayne

Hello Wayne.

That's probably a good idea as IT MAY affect the balance of the shaft during rotation and of course lead to vibration. Cannot be certain of that, but it's something that would be on my mind.

Good luck.

Richard.

Triumph Fitted the prop with the joint at the back, don't know whether there is a reason for this but that's definitely how it was fitted. An MOT tester once tried to tell me mine was the wrong way around, I told him nope that's BLX mine is fitted the way around that the factory fitted them!

With the sliding joint at the back, the rear joint will always clear the handbrake quadrant mechanism.

With the sliding joint at the front, it is possible that the corners of the straps of the strap joint (which is now at the rear) will clip the handbrake quadrant mechanism as the prop rotates and make an awful noise as you drive along.

So far there are no untoward noises from the rear of the car Kevin, other than the usual differential howl and UJ related clunks of course. The next time I have the transmission cover off and can access the front bolts I may well experiment with swapping the prop-shaft round to see what happens.

Wayne