Dynamic timing

Kevin.payne.15

Guys. I've splashed the cash and bought a timing light and have read the Haynes manual for the car(GT6 mk 3) and it says for emission controlled cars then leave the vac line attached. I'm presuming that uk cars were not regulated and as such I should time with the vac line off? Is this correct?

Thanks

Kevin

yes you are setting the base line for the dizzy  advance curve so the vac unt needs to be disconnected

if using 97+ ron fuel you can use the factory settings so idle at 600 or less when theres not supposed to be any centrifugal advance youre looking at  GT6plus  10deg btdc   GT6 mk3  6 deg btdc 

if testing the setting at high rpm then the  test figures in the WSM   are all decelerating

but theres a whole range of advance spread in the WMS and need the exact dizzy type /numbers to print off the data 

'in general advance'  stops at 3000 rpm  with an advance of 28/31 degs.   

Pete

Pete. Hard to tell what to set to as actually mine is a 2000 that I've just head skimmed to gt6 compression. I was going to set to13 dog but looking at the book it suggests 7.

Mine doesn't tick over at 600 so go for 7 and see if it runs?

On a separate item I've tried to load a picture but it doesn't appear to work from an iPad. Is it me or a quirk of the system?

Kevin

No idea I only wreck laptops ans swear at me tablet

they all have minds of their own

you need to slow the idle low to stop any advance taking place, not keep it there .

2000 saloon, whats the engine number ? Mk1 or mk 2

The saloon cam is often for toqure rather than bhp amd can be a bit mild.

set idle so it happily idles, don't worry about book figures.

Set timing to 10 degrees, and drive the car. Advance the timing little by little until you get pinking under load. Then retard a tiny bit so itno longer pinks.

Timing is then set as optimum as you can get it (well, you could get your distributor mapped eg by distributor doctor or H+H, supply cam data and compression and they do the rest)