Fuel tank capacity (Herald 13/60)

s.leah

After struggling with this for over 2 hours, trying to push, pull and twist the tank in every direction it finally just popped out!

I wish I could say what the secret move was that finally freed it but I have no idea!

Anyway, while it is out I think I will paint it. Does anybody know where I can buy a new sticker for the top?

Does anybody know where I can buy a new sticker for the top?

I think the previous link will get you the right thing, but be aware there are transfers and stickers.  Transfer is 'correct', if it matters.  Both give the same instructions.

C.

And unless your paint is smooth, neither will stick...

However with regards to removing the tank: as long as you removed the bracket for the boot stay, you’ll have gained the magic inch of clearance that it requires. With this still in place it’s well nigh impossible.

And unless your paint is smooth, neither will stick...

However with regards to removing the tank: as long as you removed the bracket for the boot stay, you’ll have gained the magic inch of clearance that it requires. With this still in place it’s well nigh impossible.

That explains why a previous owner had cut off the bottom half of that bracket! I am in the process of making a new one.

And the short strap that spaces the tank from the drop bracket is important or the boot stay will foul up on the tank when you close the boot,

Found that problem when realised it was missing from an previous owner rebuild.

its only approx 25mm long but affects the dropped angle of the boot prop stay.

pete

And the short strap that spaces the tank from the drop bracket is important or the boot stay will foul up on the tank when you close the boot,

Found that problem when realised it was missing from an previous owner rebuild.

its only approx 25mm long but affects the dropped angle of the boot prop stay.

pete

Does anyone have a photo of what this should look like, as it is missing from my car?

made up a simple metal plate with 4 holes  about 25 apart  to suit the holes in  the wing Brkt/tank brkt.  bridges the gap between the two

its just any bit of flat plate   nothing fancy ,  god know who designed this  silly bit of leggo  but its quite important  to get the tank and stay in the right place 

fit the stay to the two top holes 

found out this when fitting a new tank, and made a dent in it with the stay without even going down the road   Pah. 

cant find a part no ref , but have a look at other cars and  ' its there '

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before refitting the tank I installed some sound deadening material on the panel behind it.

DSCF8520_zpsquitj0m7.jpg

After the problems I had getting the tank out I was not looking forward to refitting it, but it went straight back in with no problems!

DSCF8526_zps4pynz8wh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...