Indicator Tell Tale

NevSpit

The not so old  'Lucas' indicator unit recently packed up and the replacement I obtained is presumably 'solid state' in some manner as there is no clicking when it operates. The current steering wheel masks the original tell tale light when driving so I have made a modification by adding a couple of LEDs.  I needed two as the current flows both ways through the normal bulb and of course LEDs only allow current to flow one way. I spliced these into the existing tell tale wiring by soldering and heat shrink and have tucked them up in the right hand corner of the dash near the door trim. This gives a handy additional visual aid whilst still being discreet - plus with two LEDs i can now tell which way I am turning :-) 

Its quite difficult to photograph but hopefully this gives an idea.  LEDs cost pennies from Maplins.

Indicator tell tale

• Like 1

I have an electronic flasher unit on one of my TR7 and that does make the correct noise. It has a timer chip, maybe a 555, driving a switching relay. Hence the noise.

Sounds like, no pun intended, there are different makes around. Its being resprayed at present so can give the make of the one I have.

Useful info. Buyer beware.

Dave

Hi,

There seems to be some indicator relays available which emit an audible indication. I was thinking about getting one but just wondering if anyone has experience of them. I don't want to sound like a reversing truck while waiting at a junction.

I find when enjoying a wind in the (where my hair used to be) drive I was often forgetting to cancel my indicators. I added a buzzer to the wiring and located it in the boot. Yes it sounds like a Dalek being strangled but it is better than any chance of confusion in modern traffic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RVFM-12-v-90-dB-WARNING-SOUNDER-BUZZER-for-Indicators-ect-/142293674170?hash=item21215d28ba:m:mFRkpjwmAsxavAuMyDyJ-5Q

• Like 1

just link it into the feed to the stalk ,  from the flasher unit then it buzzes lh and rh .

after the stalk needs more careful to make things work......or get two one left one right  use different tones so you know which way youre going  

bell left whistles right   Ha !

I bought a buzzer that has 3 wires ( eth - left turn  - right turn) , I ended up fitting it in the boot of the herald where the loom delivers for the rear indicators. It ended up in the boot because it is really noisy at 92Db probably because it was designed for motorcyclists with a helmet on. Not sure I would want it under the dash it would drown out my wife talking .................................................hang on !

Too loud? Now I am confused again on what to buy. I was intending to fit it behind the dash in the gt6 but if it's too loud for an open top then it a going to be far too loud for a gt6. Not sure I want to fit a light bulb or led.

Alternatives anyone? What db buzzer would be appropriate?

Aidan

My brother fitted one to his modern, he bought it in Maplins. It is SO loud my ears are ringing whenever he gives me a lift. I think he keeps it so that I will remember and say "No! No! You come with me, I'll drive"

on the picasso you can select a variety of winker/flasher  noises   ( thats doesnt read quite  right ) from jungle rock to tic tok 

I have a good few left over electronic warblers you know the ones that let you know youve fell out the car with the lights left on 

guess they would work Ok on the Triumph