Exhaust leak

dougbgt6

Having replaced my downpipe to manifold gasket I've still got an exhaust leak. :( The gasket was leaking and masking another leak further down. I can now see fumes wafting from a weld about an inch down the downpipe. Presumably this is where the manufactured end that bolts to the manifold is attached to the downpipe pipe. Is this common or am I unlucky? I'm now wondering about the state of the other welds in the system and the oscillating frequencies at certain speeds. A new semi sports is calling to me.

Doug, if you decide to go tubular manifold 631 the 3.1 collector can take some sealing up and primeries can be tight between chassis/ engine and steering column

if you go semi and connect to the existing cast manifold its not as fancy but more reliable

stick to single tail not the wheel barrow handles

pete

• Like 1

Pete, I'm sticking with the existing cast manifold, the tubular ones get discoloured with heat and I think look unattractive. But you're confusing me.  The GT6 standard and semi sport look identical and both have two pipes, close together, on one side. The full sport has two pipes, one on either side of the car, is that the wheel barrow? So you're advising not to get the full sport?  Having heard full sport you're right, too loud for me!

For some reason the club shop has the semi cheaper than both the standard and full, so decision made!

Doug, it's a bit close to the front but you could still try the bath sealant and baked bean can trick. Most RTV Silicone sealants are good for a few hundred degrees. Smear some into the weld and cover with a bit of metal (e.g. tin can) and a Jubilee clip or whatever to secure. In you case, maybe you only need the Jubilee clip? If it doesn't work, revert to plan "B".

I used to have a wheelbarrow system and can confirm it's just not nice on anything except short journeys

Cheers, Richard

PS: If you go down the new exhaust route, can I have your old centre resonator pleeeeeeze?

Richard, MOT next month, not sure Prince Brothers will like your inventive solution. :lol: 

I think I'm going to replace it, problem is my drive is on a slope, I can jack up the car and use axel stands for simple jobs, but crawling underneath makes me nervous. Local exhaust company wants £50 an hour to put it on! Occurs to me I could pay that to our friend John to do it. 

I've long suspected the centre box also has a problem but we shall see, might have it off by next meeting and you can take a look.

Doug, I've been using my exhaust life extension technique for 30 years and never had a problem with MOTs. My modern's rear silencer is patched up good 'n proper with sealant & tin plate ... and has been for 5-years or more!

You have a PM.

Cheers, Richard

Just PM'd Richard.

In a senior moment I realized I have a Gun Gum product in the garage which I bought several decades ago. It's effectively Richard's baked bean tin solution and has the added advantage it doesn't say Heinz on the front. I'm not convinced it will last long due to the torsional strains on the downpipe opening up the fractured weld. But it if I can delay buying the new exhaust until after I've paid for the new sofas, that will be good.