Mk1 radiator on a mk3 spit

Ye-Gads

Hi,

Was wondering if it were worth fitting a full width mk1 rad in to my mk3 spit?

It currently has an after market 3 core one fitted which is too tall for the bonnet and so needs replacing one way or another so 16 or 22 inch is the question

Can the mounting holes be re-drilled to sit the rad lower?

I would hesitate to use a secondhand rad, and I think the early rads had less cores too. Overheating is not an issue with spitfires, but if you are getting a new one, then for the small extra outlay getting a full width, 3 core would be my preference, after all it can't hurt. But finding a new one that is any different to the one you have will require some research.

I'd agree with Clive on the first bit, if you're buying a second-hand radiator budget on getting it recored. Am I right in that they use the same as the Herald? In that case they shouldn't be too hard to find, but in any of my Heralds I use the full-width radiator and it would be my first choice of the two options.

(Mine was about £120 for a recore with a modern day four-row core.)

If you want a full width radiator then the MK2 one would be a direct swap for your MK3 Spitfire. If you use the MK1 radiator you would also need to use the MK1 Spitfire expansion tank too, a rather smart black painted brass tank that mounts above the carbs, as this radiator has another outlet pipe on the inside, just below the filler neck. I believe that this system was changed because it over-cooled the engine.

I believe that this system was changed because it over-cooled the engine.

Surely, the thermostat prevents 'over cooling'.

i suspect the change may have been to save costs on extra and unnecessary parts.

C.