Replacement Bulb holder for the charging light

Whilst fiddling the other day I thought I would investigate why the charging light never comes on

Only slightly surprised to find that I didn't actually have a bulb in the bulb holder. It's a replacement holder demanding a non standard bulb that I've failed to source - it doesn't have a metal cap end at all just bare wires poking to either side of a flat.

A colleague in the club kindly sent me a replacement holder but his one only has one cable and mine appears to need two ( so the wiring diagram suggests).

I've tried soldering on a wire but it drops off - I think because I can't get the holder hot enough

So does anyone know a source of smiths based charging light bulb holders or a very small cap less bulb please

Thanks kevin

Hello Kevin.

Without seeing the wiring diagram I take it your two wire bulb is live in and earth out ??

If that is the case, your replacment bulb holder with one wire - I presume live; now earths via the bulb holder body. Is that a possibility ??

Do you have a photo of what you require ?? I may be able to assist if I can see the item.

Regards.

Richard.

Kevin.

The one you have been sent is a standard instrument gauge illumination bulb; the wiring colour combination confirm that.

I will have a look and see if I have one.

Have you tried:

Stafford Vehicle Components  http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/

Holden https://www.holden.co.uk/Default.asp

Another excellent independent outlet I use is Collectors Car Parts, based in Egham. Speak with Howard, he is a top man and manages to secure the unobtainable !!  http://www.collectorscarparts-heathrow.co.uk/

Regards.

Richard.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation and have ordered one of these from fleabay  301042038916 

i'm not sure its the right thing but I can let you know - Again this is to earth through the body of the gauge hence just the one contact, If you have a similar gauge, you should be able to earth it as I will, the insert tube for the bulb is metal and already earthed.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Charging light", do you mean the ignition light?

I am replacing a plastic two wire one as I am swapping out all my bulbs for LED. 

If it works I could always send you the one I'm replacing the bulb is still fine!

Aidan

Kevin.

Having looked at your wiring diagram the lamp does not earth, this function is done by the alternator mountings; the bulb is purely a signal to confirm that the system is either charging or not. Some alternator charging systems rely on this bulb to "inform" the alternator to get charging and without that occurring the alternator will not start charging. I must add that this is NOT the case for all systems.

Does your twin tail bulb have any type of housing it fits in to or does it somehow just fit in to the instrument housing which I presume is the speedo ?? Perhaps it just fits in to a lens unit fitted on the dash - these are just guesses as I have not seen the layout.

I have found one of these (see photo) that will do the job PROVIDED that the metal housing is not earthed, in effect the whole casing is live.

Back in the garage this afternoon so will have another sort through.

Regards.

Richard. 

post-818-0-07781900-1500382738_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-50368400-1500382758_thumb.jpg

Hello Aidan.

Yes it's one of the same.

It's more commonly known as an ignition lamp / light due the fact that often "ignition" is written under the lamp within the speedo housing - which is the normal position for such a lamp.

In essence it's actually a lamp to inform the driver the system is charging (hence the term charging light) and of course when all is good the lamp should extinguish immediately as soon as the alternator / dynamo starts charging.

Regards.

Richard.

all the diagrams i can see show its a two wire holder ( not an earthed case) one to the white on the ign switch and the other is earthed via the alternator or  dynamo control box   WL wire   brown and yellow

you  dont want a holder that has an earthed case unless its insulated from wherever it is located  or

you get a short or bulb on constant

Pete

Guys. The problem might be solved. I went to Moss in Bristol as I happened to be passing and got their helpful person who looked through ( I think a tr book) and found a plastic two wire job. Doesn't appear in the other catalogues

Bought one for a few quid and will report at the weekend if it does the job.

Kevin

Sorry about the small thread hijack here but unfortunately the single lead holder from ebay is the wrong size Grrr!

Anyway if anyone has a spare single lead gathering dust please let me know Happy to pay a few quid!

Aidan