MGF seats for Vitesse MK2 Saloon

Paul H

Next project is to replace my aging Vitesse seats with leather MGF seats and following an excellent TSSC forum article Just stripping off the seat belt clip assembly from the MGF seats which look like they havepost-1431-0-89054800-1501155618_thumb.jpg a pretensioner system - Is it ok just to throw away or should it be stripped down further . The barrel will easily unscrew . See pic

Regards

Paul

Hi Pete - googled and found a video of the belt tensioner going off so secured in vice - connected the wires using extension and connected to a 12 volt battery outside the garage - BANG !!! the tensioner was forced out of the vice and flew across the room . at least its disarmed so ok to bin - Next one will be secured more firmly in the vice 

Second pretensioner discharged - stayed in the vice as better secured this time though on both occasions the plastic casing of the seat belt clip broke off and went across the room so stay outside 

Regards

Paul 

Glad the Bang was sound advise Hmmmm!!!! Dont do this at home go somewhere else !!!

do be carefull

that remind me when Bq built a warehouse at the back of our emmission dept they used Hilti guns and we had nails flying all over the place nasty things made holes in our concertina doors one day we collected around 30 stray nails ,

bang....duck ..... everybody down

Hello Paul.

I wrote the original article, to which you have pasted the link.

Does your Vitesse have the receiver on flexi storks fitted - i.e. the unit that takes the actual seat belt clip / buckle ??

Unless I am mistaken, are you just disarming the original MGF seat pre-tensioners prior to throwing away ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Pete.

I already had the inertia seat belts fitted with the flexi stork receiver, which as you say works well.

In fact there is no room for the MGF seat seat belt assembly as the g/box tunnel is too close.

Regards.

Richard.

You can see some of my side trim was missing, not overly obvious but even with it removed the slides

can chop the tunnel carpet if the runners are too low, i had to fit spacers

I miss the old girl but needs must

pete

why dont tablets print wot U type esp the spacebar Grr!

Hello Paul.

I wrote the original article, to which you have pasted the link.

Does your Vitesse have the receiver on flexi storks fitted - i.e. the unit that takes the actual seat belt clip / buckle ??

Unless I am mistaken, are you just disarming the original MGF seat pre-tensioners prior to throwing away ??

Regards.

Hi Richard , I've already fitted inertia belts from the club and they have the wire stem so should fit ok. I has disarmed the belt clips and dumped them only to ve told off by my son who said they were worth money . I did enjoy the bang though

Regards

Paul

Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

Job completed and MGF leather seats are in. A few tips to assist 

• 2 metre length of 30mm x  5mm flat bar purchased from Ebay - £12.00 delivered 
  • M8 X 20mm dome heads were too long to fit so reduced by 18 thou ( Ebay or Toolstation) 
  • There is no need to grind the dome heads if you grind off the stop ( see Richard's original photos )
  • When fitting start at the rear as these are raised sections with a captive nut which have some movement - Do not tighten at this stage 
  • Fit the front bolts - I needed longer bolts as added 40mm ( penny washers ) on both sides + added sound deadening pads .
  • You have some wiggle room if the bolts dont line up , tap the rear end of the frame with a hide mallet 
  • Tighten all 4 bolts 
  • My seats had a tag which showed the year at 2001 
  • I bought the seats from Ebay and cost £175 - they are in fair to good condition , there is about 2 inches of stretched seam on the passenger seat which needs addressing at some time , its simply removing the outer cover and restitching - I might add heated seat pads at the same time 

Last but not least the sound deadening pads ive fitted are ace - Ive done it in sections - Boot and rear seating area and now with the seats out completed this area - Just the footwells and bulk head to go and already the noise levels are much lower so would recommend this approach - I used www.silentcoat.co.uk  2mm sound deadening pads - easy to use and trim . Dont purchase from their site as its cheaper of Ebay .Pretty sure the price is 50% cheaper than Dynamat 

Regards

Paul 

post-1431-0-25518400-1502620630_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-07513700-1502620633_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've recently fitted MGF seats to my herald using the instructions from Richard/Adam and i have to say it all went according to plan. The one thing that I would like to do is find some mechanism to make the seat backs tilt/lock  in order to let any rear seat passengers out more easily.

Does anyone know where such a mechanism can be sourced . I've seen some on Ebay from a SAAB 900 but they look a bit complicated.

Thanks,

I modified my MGF seats to allow the backrest on the passenger's seat to tip forward.  This was a fairly simple mod and I used a catch off a Jaguar XJC, which is obviously quite a rare car so not a recommendation as such but there must be loads of cars out there, probably from the 80s, with a similar simple catch arrangement.  See photo.

Don't fall into the trap of trying to tilt the entire seat forward (as the original seats do) as the headrest will come into contact with the windscreen/windscreen-frame long before it provides usable access to the rear.

Tom 

080427 009.jpg