Vitesse front wing(s)

Henry

I'm contemplating buying a Vitesse left hand front wing to try and make some progress on my replacement bonnet project. Has anyone bought a Vitesse front wing recently, if so from whom, and what about the fit and quality? All the suppliers offer such things around the £160 mark, so there's no real choice on price. I'm also aware of another man assembling a bonnet and having problems getting his wings to line up with anything else - but he can't remember where he bought what bit.

The existing wing is a little damaged due to making contact with the vehicle in front, and the resulting bonnet was passed on to me.

proper vitesse wings have not been available for many many years. Even back in the mid 90's the supplied wings were 13/60 with a welded modification. I presume the same thing applies. Fit was OK at the time, I think they all come from the same press (they did back then, so probably still do)

A lot of panels come from Fitchetts, they bought some of the original Triumph Press tools back in the sell off in the late 70's early 80's.

I bought a wing for my Vitesse back in 1984, from kippings, not sure off the original manufacturer though?

The fit with the front of the door was poor, the curve on the back edge was insufficent :mellow:  :mellow:  

Agree with all the above, rebuilt one bonnet a few years ago currently doing another.

Faults with wing

Insufficient curve on back edge, as stated above, need to modify rear at top so it steps out.

Needs to be extended where it meets the headlight panel by the side light. If you do not do this the front of the bonnet will not match the front valence.

Curve around headlight not curved enough, take an angle grinder to it and add a fillet of metal.

Also be careful that the front panel is not pulled in so that it touches the radiator, very little clearance at the best of times.

The above is what l found with the two pairs of wings from different suppliers.

Regards

Paul

Back to OP question, it will make no difference where you buy the wing....and like all panels will require some fettling. 

Thinking back I had to play with the rear corner of the wing a little, but worth noting my car would not have won any prizes. Well, it was quick, and used every day for many many years. But not a show car.....

Worth noting that even then, the other wing which I repaired a small hole, was in way better condition after 13 years use. The new one was frilly around the arch. Both were painted from bare metal and treated exactly the same. But this is common to all the panels I have ever fitted, the metal is not as good as the original stuff. But we have absolutely no choice....(unless you get lucky at an autojumble, but most of that stuff was production line rejects)