acceptable GT6 cylinder compression

Adrian

Hi all

Now I know this isn't right but I've cranked the engine by hand (engine is out) just to check compression consistency (I've only just got a tester). So I know I can't achieve proper compression (my arm only works so fast) but noted that I got around 70 in 6, 5 and 3. 4 was 50 and 1 and 2 was 20-30. Even by hand that seems to be a big variation. The engine ticked over quite nicely before I took it out with no oil burning, etc.

I haven't check the valve clearances as yet. The car history seems to be a replacement engine was put in around 1990 at the same time the speedo was zeroed so basically the car has done 23K in that period. I know it tends to be a house of cards when dealing with this sort of thing and have enjoyed (ish) learning but I really don't want to be messing with piston rings - particularly as the sump has been on twice already, thanks to a stripped thread! 

If I read the manual right, compression should be 140ish? So I assume muscle power has only achieved 50% and so 6, 5 and 3 are OK and 1, 2 and 4 are lacking.  I'm hoping it may be valve settings.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks and looking forward to the 17th.

To be honest I don't think you'll get anyway near the proper compression using only muscle power!

If the engine is running ok before being taken out I'd try a compression test again once it's refitted; there's no point in initiating repairs based on an incorrect assessment unless you just want to be sure and refurbish it anyway, which going by your post, I don't think you want.

If nothing else, can you rig up a starter connected directly to a battery to get it up to a proper speed for testing? It might give a more realistic reading and allay your fears somewhat.

It's impossible to say, this is an acceptable pressure, this is not, as the gushes are uncalibrated.     They are invaluable to compare the bores in a block, or else if you have a known ( believed?) good engine to compare with that.    Don't omit to do the oil test:  teaspoonful down the p!ug hole after doing the test 'dry'.   This will improve even poor ring sealing, but have no effect on valve seal, so diagnostic.

John

was dreaming about making a clear   U tubed  water filled manometer to compare the  swept volume  condition but reckon would need one as high as the house    Hmmm   !!!!

back to compressions ,  one good stroke from btc to tdc and compare , will be low figures but only takes half a turn of the crank 

which is an easier effort  if by hand  and 3 shredded wheats  rather than  try to turn over and over enough to get the best readings 

just a ramble 

Pete

Swept volume is a dimensional calculation, if you have the head off, but if you wanted a water manometer type device, the height will depend on the diameter of the tubing.     But a better design would be, fill the bore with a liquid at BDC, stick a hose in the plug hole and turn the crank to TDC, catching the liquid INA measuring jug.  Don't forget to empty the hose into the jug!

John