Cooling Airlock

Mike Bird

I have recently had my radiator re-cored. I fitted it along with a couple of new hoses and filled it up. It took about 6 pints. I though it might tale some more though. I ran the engine with the cap off and it did take about another half pint. I am now not getting any heat in the car so think I might have an airlock. I didn't drain the block because I couldn't find the drain plug.

Any suggestions as to what I can do on the basis that my mechanical knowledge is limited.

Mike

Mike,

the drain plug is at the back of the engine towards the bulkhead on the carburettor side about half way down. Quite common to remove it and nothing come out! You have to poke around in the hole to get the crud out. Alternatively you could disconnect the bottom hose, take the thermostat cover off, thermostat out and garden hose in to flush the block. There's another thread on here about what chemicals to use to flush the system if you want to go that way.

Doug

Airlocks can be frustrating.

I would run the car up to temperature with the rad cap on. It often needs the thermostat to open and the system to pressurise.  

I presume the heater worked OK beforehand? And the thermostat is working OK (the temp did get up to approx the middle of the gauge after 10 mins of driving?)

That should do the trick. But obviously hasn't.

You have not said what car/engine, that may help with clues.

But do the hoses to the heater get hot? Is the heater valve opening? 

Another possibility is a blockage in the metal pipe that runs under the carbs. If there is a T on teh pipe it usually has a very reduced size hole and can get blocked easily, especially is there have been shenanigans with the radiator etc. A flush backwards and forwards with a hose may help, as can a poke with some wire.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all and sorry for the delay in my reply and thank you for your offer Peter. I think I have fixed it. I ran the engine with the cap off and squeezed the bottom hose several times, minding my fingers on the fan and I now have heat.

I am in Colmworth Peter and met you briefly at Twinwoods in the summer. It is a light blue Vitesse. I have another question about overdrive/differential ratio so will set up another topic.

Thanks All

Mike