Steering Column Bushes - Triumph Vitesse Mk2

Triumph Vitesse Mk2 

Just reassembling the steering column on my Vitesse after changing the steering UJ + fitting earthing strap -

On ebay I saw Steering Column Bushes as below 5ac9fd11dc1e1_steeringcolumnbushes.thumb.jpg.41f2c77ecd60717bd3b6e390afa9f58c.jpg

I removed the upper column and looked down the tube and saw some "felt" and no bushes - the pic might help 

5ac9fd7a60115_steeringcolumn.thumb.jpg.6285f45649eb43ea9e5a107cc518fe5b.jpg

The lower section might have a bush though would have to remove the end cap to find out .

From memory  there was some  play in the steering wheel if you moved the wheel up down left right . MOT inspectors didnt comment so assumed the column was within tolerance . Ive checked the Haynes and no mention and WSM does though didnt go into enough detail in how to change 

Any help , guidance appreciated 

Paul 

Update, just checked lower section and there appears to be a column bush in place - the outer is rubber with a metal inner - 

if theres an old bush you need to trim off the small location lugs as shown in the pics,  then press/push the new in ontop of the old  till the logs pop  into the holes in the tube , splash of grease on the rubbing shaft and its fairly easy.

it may pay to remove the outer column and work the bushes in/out on the bench,as  you can do the lower one on car 

as example rimmers show std and super bushes . at wildly differing £££s     https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008090

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if theres an old bush you need to trim off the small location lugs as shown in the pics,  then press/push the new in ontop of the old  till the logs pop  into the holes in the tube , splash of grease on the rubbing shaft and its fairly easy.

it may pay to remove the outer column and work the bushes in/out on the bench,as  you can do the lower one on car 

as example rimmers show std and super bushes . at wildly differing £££s     https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008090

Hi Pete, thanks for advice the column is now on the bench to clear out any existing bushes / whatever . The expensive rimmer bushes look exactly the same as the one in my top photo which makes the Riimmer version 4 times the cost + postage 

Paul 

Update : With the outer column on the bench I can see the column bushes at both ends - the lower one being easier to remove - the outer rubber has 2 lugs and the inner looks like hard nylon . the easiest option is to push the rubber down the tube to make way for the new one - is this cheat acceptable ?  3 sections of felt are out they were above the top bush and i guess were used to retain oil for lubrication purposes - 

Paul 

Update , managed to get both column bushes out of the steering column:

I cut out the locating plugs with a stanley knife and used plenty of Plus Gas in the plug recesses and column then locked in the vice and used the sliding hammer with the attachment shown - You can monitor progress by checking the plug holes , when the column plugs starts to move move the slider round the tube . Not a lot of hammer pressure required 

5aca2548c5f6b_slidinghammer.thumb.jpg.6a0fbed8c334d3055735cba1210ff3da.jpg

Purchased these replacement column bushes from Jumblemaster and they look the same as the ones that came out. Ill give the Rimmers expensive bushes a miss ;)

Hope this helps somebody 

Paul 

Im sure they will be fine,   its been know the replacement can give more play than whats removed,  

guess thats  the ongoing classic parts are not what they used to be

You have taken the old out , thats great , as said , many just press the old down with the new,,  a full tube can make it ...heavy !!

Pete

Update  The new column bushes arrived today - same construction as the ones taken out - Rubber outer with 2 outer locating plugs, a metal liner and a nylon inner ( similar material to a trunnion ) 

The quality was poor - I trust the seller so guess they are all like that - They wouldnt fit the steering column as much too tight so the nylon inner needed trimming , and finished off with fine wet n dry - Make sure your column is clean removing hard deposits / rust  to ease assembly and plenty of grease 

The bushes are one way , the nylon inner has a locating lug to prevent it popping out and the rubber lugs are not very good so if the steering column was over tight the outer rubber bush would spin .

All fitted now though it pays to take your time plus I was able to fit on the bench - fitting in situ would be difficult as pushing the column into the second bush needs accurate lining up if not the rubber lugs arent man enough and they will rip off 

The original top column bush was knackered with loads of play as the nylon inner had split - the original lower bush was fine although the rubber was a bit spongy .

Now the steering column assembly is tight with no play when bench testing

If I was repeating the exercise I would have pushed the originals into the tube rather than remove as the old bushes would still be able to provide some support taking some of the pressure on the new bushes 

Onwards and upwards 

Paul 

With suitable long nose pliers you can, just, change the liner in the top bush. This is not possible with the bottom bush. If the liners wear out quickly then check the alignment of the rack to column shaft as if not correct it will place to much loading on the liner.

As interest some of the TR part suppliers are offering what they state as up-graded bushes. The TR4/5/6 uses the same bush and basically the same outer/housing column. Has anybody used them?

Dave