Wiper arms

sulzerman

Mine are 11in and sweep corectly.

The answer lies I think in the arms.

The rh one is straight and the left slightly cranked.

I had 2 cranked ones on and yes the sweeps did not meet.

Look at old images and see what  mean. So many I see are incorrect.

• 3 months later...

Hello

My  spitfire mk3 wipers meet but they go off the windscreen on the drivers side! Is there a cure for this?

likely to be worn spindle gears (wiper boxes). or wrong ones fitted. My Bond had this problem . I changed the gear cog in the motor which helped and replaced the boxes for good used ones. Not now perfect, but better.

• 2 months later...

here  is  copy of the shop link post

way back when I decided 7mm or any thicker wider arm would improve the load on the screen I got some wider arms with adjustable lengths

so i could use a longer blade without it fouling the top of the screen rubber ffrom a selection of parts from these guys

there's every type of fitting, available if you search around  to get the blade thickness, the blade attachment , spline diameter etc 

http://www.vintageca...ipers-wiper-arm

Garth has some adjustable arms , but not the thicker section.

then get the wheel boxes to run 180deg from their worn teeth, stick a card needle on the spline, pull the rack out , then  turn spline 1/2 turn

grease and refit rack check spline is  now running  in  a new position, refit the arms 

also check all tube clamps are tight .

remove cover from wiper motor, grease gears and clean park sweepers,

also when removing the rack take it out of the motor gear box and turn it over 1/2 turn to  run  the wheels on a less worn part of the rack

Peter

I have one cranked and one straight, I always thought this was wrong but I'm pleased to learn they're correct! :lol: They meet in the middle OK but unfortunately despite being fairly new, from the club shop, they have little effect on the windscreen. I was wondering if stronger springs would be of benefit? Academic really as I never go out in the rain. :lol:

Thanks Clive! Where did all the years go (67 :o)? I went to see my Dad on his 70th and found him underneath his car changing the exhaust. "You can't trust these quick fit people!" He told me. I think I might be doing the same shortly, although stainless I think my exhaust is blowing. Nothing lasts, it's only 30 years old! :lol:  

• 1 month later...

Just to resurrect an old thread. I have the Tex wipers on my gt6 and as others have found they are pretty poor at clearing the screen. Having read about the Bosch blades I though I would pick up a pair in Halfords. However they seem to come with a fixed adapter which seems to fit the hook type arms only. Because of this I reluctantly brought the Halfords own version. I have now removed the rubber blade insert from the Halfords wiper and installed it in my Tex wiper and the result is great. Wipers that actually clear the screen. It still misses the curved edge of the screen but clears the vast majority of it swept area really well.

I had also got new arms when I restored the car but the hold down springs on these were far weaker than the originals so I cleaned up the originals and used them.

Chris

• Like 1