Adjusting Drivers door - Vitesse Saloon Mk2

Paul H

Hi starting to look at the bodywork on my Vitesse saloon mK2 as there are a few issues , the worst being the ill fitting drivers door . Check out the pic 

478131201_rightdoorapost.thumb.jpg.c88e1597a40ad894979dfb9351be560b.jpg

The proud gap seems the same all the way down . Am I correct that the first place to start is to try adjusting the hinges - Ive checked the WSM but not clear which bolts adjust this issue ie A post 3 bolts or the 2 bolts on the door ( also noted the one of the 2 door bolts wont tighten - how should they be retained )

Logically its the 2 hinge bolts on the door that should allow adjustment - 

1804901960_doorhinge.thumb.jpg.1fe025e5ab2e122df48292a54928d7a5.jpg

Any advice welcome 

Paul 

Yes the door fixings there are 3  there is a contersunk screw hidding,   these control the door flush adjustment, also the number of sealing gaskets under the Apost hinge bolts  all go into ptretty awfull taped caged plates that do strip with too much use and overtightening  you can re tap oversive or metric and open the hinge hole to suit

I would concentrate more on spreading the bonnet outwards to remove the airscoop   proud door

It may have had a wing panel repair and its been set too flat , improved mine witha timber and jacked from side to side to gain width

Just an idea  it may not be the door that the problem

pete

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, Pete Lewis said:

Yes the door fixings there are 3  there is a contersunk screw hidding,   these control the door flush adjustment, also the number of sealing gaskets under the Apost hinge bolts  all go into ptretty awfull taped caged plates that do strip with too much use and overtightening  you can re tap oversive or metric and open the hinge hole to suit

I would concentrate more on spreading the bonnet outwards to remove the airscoop   proud door

It may have had a wing panel repair and its been set too flat , improved mine witha timber and jacked from side to side to gain width

Just an idea  it may not be the door that the problem

pete

Hi Pete , just had a play and you are correct that adjusting the bonnet will correct the door lines . I will be starting with the rubber cone stop as looks like it’s out of position

Thanks for the pointer 

Paul 

22 hours ago, Paul H said:

Hi Pete , just had a play and you are correct that adjusting the bonnet will correct the door lines . I will be starting with the rubber cone stop as looks like it’s out of position

Thanks for the pointer 

Paul 

Hi Pete , thanks a million , just added a few £ to the value of my Vitesse . The bonnet stop cone location was wrong - All I did was to loosen the securing nuts allowing the cone to sit freely within its location, close the bonnet with the best alignment , lift the bonnet and secure the rubber cone - Heres the before and after 

901382558_rightdoorapost.thumb.jpg.858c358637a70bb94415a19f30670c04.jpg

1808291524_rightdoorapost1.thumb.jpg.5611b22a9fc7493dc8f2bae8f9e6297e.jpg

I dont suppose you can cure body tub spread with a 5 minute fix ?

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My fix takes about 30mins   if the B post top extention is off  one bolt and two screws/or rivets

Then  make up some 10mm studding attached to the ears on top of the waist line 

Pull it in about 1.5 inches and then release  did mine with the roof off but dont think it  restricts much

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Thats about how long it takes me to istall my hydraulic body spread adjuster.

Just be careful you dont pull too far and split the top deck join below the rear of the roof DAMHIK?

Luckily with the hydraulics I was able to push it back out. 

Adrian