Replacing Steering Rack Bushes. Vitesse MK2

Hi looking to replace the current rubber steering rack bushes to blue poly on my Vitesse MK2. Can this be done in situ ? Looks straight forward but guess life is not that easy , here’s hoping . Any advice welcome 

Paul 

Hi Pete starting with the offside steering clamps , very little overhead space - Do the U bolts split from the Clamp Bracket ?  Item 53 polybush.thumb.jpg.a9866fc17fda435e87fa47287a9ed2ea.jpg

UPDATE : nearside bracket removed and the U bolt is welded - the offside looks like it will only come out if I raise the engine ????

Regards

Paul 

58 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

no they are generally welded , you may need to raise the engine a little , was a long tine ago 

Pete

Hi Pete , re jacking is it ok to jack the sump with a wooden support or does it have to be the front of the engine ?

Paul 

good block on the sump is ok 

as the mounts make a Vee you might not  just lift it as the mounts can foul up on the turrets etc.    but it doenst need much lift , just taking the weight may do it 

book says detach the mounts from the turrets,  this will still need a lever to release  the mount from the flanges on the turret  

Pete

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

good block on the sump is ok 

as the mounts make a Vee you might not  just lift it as the mounts can foul up on the turrets etc.    but it doenst need much lift , just taking the weight may do it 

book says detach the mounts from the turrets,  this will still need a lever to release  the mount from the flanges on the turret  

Pete

Jacking the engine via the sump had little effect , still need at least 0.5 inches to clear - If I removed the engine mounting blocks with jack taking the load then using the jack to raise the engine - I would have to watch the fan didnt hit the rad though . would this work ?

mounting-blocks.thumb.jpg.8f24e0949ca5aaa8fe85a9c7b324f0ff.jpg

I changed an engine mount on my GT6 last Friday (cured my clutch judder in reverse!) - you may find it easier to support the engine centrally and remove the four bolts from the plate attached to the engine that the mountings attach to. That will allow vertical engine movement without the mount fouling on the turret.

I'd replaced the mount altogether and alignment was tricky afterwards, so I loosened all the bolts to reassemble, then tightened in the sequence of 4 engine plate bolts first, 2 mounting to turret bolts, then finally levered the engine sufficiently to slot in the mount shims and tightened the 2 mount to plate bolts.

Gully

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Well it should do,  as  I said getting the mounts to free out i/can be  a fight   fan should be clear ok

Pete

Hi Pete , initially didn’t get it, I thought undoing the mounts meant a straight lift and I now see the need for a possible fight with a lever .

Paul 

Fitted nearside steering rack polybush as it was easy access . I was planning to change the offside at a later stage because of the work required lifting and supporting the engine - Road tested the steering with 1 polybush and what a difference , much more positive steering and less effort at low speeds. So will no replace offside as the extra work will be worth it 

Paul