Vitesse MK1 2ltr CD150 floats

Jaffa

Thanks to the good people at the Sunshine rally. Leaking petrol does appear to be due to a float full of petrol. Had a look on spares sites but it seems they are no longer available. Any ideas or do I just need to find a used but floaty float?

Great thanks. Can hear liquid in the float but perhaps it's just a faulty valve and I'm concluding it's the float because that's what was suggested to me. Either way too risky to use the car with the amount of petrol that leaks as soon as I stop.

Obviously if you can hear liquid inside the float theres a problem, ive only found  black solid foam floats on stroms but who knows whats on your car , float valves dont last for ever and the dreaded floating slivers of hose that can jam the valve open plague some cars .

Burlen are the people for genuine spares , so consider a replacement float and needle valve .

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/?page_id=347

Gives good pictures and script to repair your carbs , theybare mainly for TR but the principles are common to pretty much all strombergs

Pete

Some repair kits include a array of float chamber gaskets, the profile eveloved and  later gaaskets leave corners unsealed 

Do assume they all fit there are small changes which will give you a leaker.

Burlen news says the stay ups are fornTR4 and early Triumph  , best give them a call 

Do you have the brass tag number still on the carbs   this helps

The Cd ranges are in simple terms

CD  has a thames barrier ramp  choke to make the piston rise and blockmthe intake

CDS  has a starting valve choke on the side of the front carb only , with tube to the rear carb  mixture adjust from underside

CDSE  has starting valve choke and adjustment is down the dash pot the float base is just a cap under the fixed jet

Can have temperature compensators on the front sides

CDSEV   just adds more emmission controls and air bleeds .

Pet

• 2 weeks later...

Leak is just a weep from one seam of one float. Have spoken with Burlen and now have refurb kits but despite being listed, floats are no longer available. Am going to try super glue on the seam now the float is free of petrol. Petrol resistant, not sure, guess I'll find out.

10 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Leak is just a weep from one seam of one float. Have spoken with Burlen and now have refurb kits but despite being listed, floats are no longer available. Am going to try super glue on the seam now the float is free of petrol. Petrol resistant, not sure, guess I'll find out.

It's resistant but not permanently petrol-proof. you'll only have the same problem later.

Ben's link looks good, the guys says its a genuine Zenith part, or phone Chic Doig for a good second-hand float.