spin-on oil filter

willis

Hi all, Can anyone tell me if its possible to change the sealing rings between the oil filter housing and engine block without removing the filter from the housing? The reason I'm asking is that my engine hasn't been started since it's complete rebuild, but has been turned over. This is how I found that it's leaking between the housing and the block. I don't want to change the filter if I can help it and it looks like it can be done. Any advice will be most welcome.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Thanks, Rob  

Yes, of course, if its original housing or a spin-on.      The latter has TWO o-rings, one on the inner part.

Make sure there ate not two of the original square rubber rings inntje groove in the block.    But I had the same problem after two years, an oil.weep.for no apparent reason, save that the ring on place feltbhatd and rigid.   I fear that modern rubber parts aren't what they used to be!

John

Do take care with the 0 ring the groove it sits in is stepped, its common for the seal to be just popped in the groove and then fitting the housing or the original steel case the  seal gets chopped,  so its get the side shield off get down and look at how the seal is fitted 

Do  not think doing the centre nut up by a gorilla will work its very likey to tear the threaded block out and then you realy have a problem

If removing the filter to refit later to make more space its  fine to refit and reuse , but can be messy.

Agree with John its not uncommon to find you have two fitted

Pete

Thanks for all your advice chaps. I'll leave everything in place until my new seals arrive. Should be next week with a bit of luck so probably another week before I can sort it. I'll keep you all posted.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers, Rob