Spitfire 1966 Mk2 Bonnet Grill

KevinB

Hi,

I'm having a 1966 Spitfire restored, August 1966, and wondered if anyone can confirm the colour of the grill? I have two alloy grill panels and have been informed that the correct colour should be a matt black background with shiny alloy leading edges, if that makes sense?  Rather than the whole grill being simply the bare metal alloy colour?

If anyone can clarify what the grill would have looked like originally I would be most grateful.

Cheers, Kevin 

Took me an age to find a pic, but this is a local member's car - the grille is matt black behind with only the horizontal slats polished back to bare aluminium.

My GT6, when I bought it, had a plain aluminium grille, no black paint at all, and looked terrible - but as with anything it comes down to personal preference.

DSCF4994.thumb.jpg.962a7ef0f339265f19dde868ee8eaab5.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Took me an age to find a pic, but this is a local member's car - the grille is matt black behind with only the horizontal slats polished back to bare aluminium.

My GT6, when I bought it, had a plain aluminium grille, no black paint at all, and looked terrible - but as with anything it comes down to personal preference.

DSCF4994.thumb.jpg.962a7ef0f339265f19dde868ee8eaab5.jpg

Thank you for finding this, very helpful, thank you