Vitesse Speedo gauge instrument light

Peter Truman

I've had my Vitesse Mk2 for 48yrs and replaced the Speedo head around 1972 I've just had to replace the speedo instrument bulb, what a bl***y job, everything is in the road. It took around 3hrs extended because I tried fitting a LED bulb but it wouldn't seat properly too long I presume so I reverted to a std 2.2W screw in bulb.

I removed the Tacho to give more room and provide an access hole it helped a little BUT still difficult. I know my hands are big so trying to get around the steering column brackets was difficult.

I thought about removing the speedo instrument but the clamps were too hard and the cable didn't want to move

Can anyone advise the best method, and if there is a lack of clear internal space to fit a LED bulb as they extend about 3/8in beyond the bayonet.

I've replaced ALL the other instrument bulbs with LED's with no issues so can the Speedo bulb also be replaced?

regards

Peter T

All I can say is: persevere, Peter, it'll loosen eventually. You probably don't need to remove it so loosen the clamps and rotate it until the bulb you need access to can be reached more easily. The bulb holder should simply be a push-fit in the gauge.

You can get LED bulbs that are the exact same dimensions and screw-fitting as the original bulb, I'll attach a pic of the ones I bought. There are a few on eBay at present, but some in different lens shapes, so choose the ones you prefer.

DSCF5970.jpg.82d87fb3b09555d79991f7eb97438121.jpg

Peter,

I've replaced all my pea bulbs with LEDs,  and yes, the speedo and the rev counter were absolute buggers to do. 

I got the speedo clamps undone, they don't have bolts but finger wheels and once loosened  come off easily. Unfortunately the speedo can only be brought forward a short way leaving an inch gap to view inside the hole. Not enough to get at the bulb. However, the GT6 dashboard centre comes out and I could get my hand in and watch through the narrow gap. But the Vitesse dashboard is all one piece so you can't do that!

However, I did the rev counter by rotating the gauge till almost upside down with the bulb near the bottom. Then fairly easy to get at. That might also work on the speedo? 

The really difficult bit is getting the clamps back on!

My LEDs were also too long for some of the gauges and the light "spilt" everywhere. I've temporarily tapped them up and the gauge lighting is fine. I've sent off for some large shrink wraps which I think will do to sleeve the LEDs (without actually shrink wrapping). Colin is right other LEDs are available, but at what price? Club shop LEDs £7 each! I got mine for £1.30 each.

Doug

Not only that, they were bayonets and I had to change all my connectors to bayonet! The only screw threads I could find were Club Shop £7 jobs, maybe I didn't look hard enough.

I notice yours appear to have only one LED facing forward and that would not work too well on some of my gauges. My bulbs have 5 LEDs , one forward 4 to the sides, so the light's all around.

And 5 into £1.30 goes 26p each! Ha!

Doug

Thanks for the help Colin the one's I used were like those in your upper tray 4 LED's on the outside and one in top but with screw bayonets, hence too long for the Speedo but OK in other instruments incl Tacho, which I didn't find too hard to install the bulb.

I do like the ones you showed and used and will check here in OZ with Mr LED, or I might try Hong Kong at cents per bulb with Free Postage, don't know how they do it!.

Interestingly I've used LED's in my daughter's Spit in all the rear park, stop & turn lights since around 2005 and found them very good, I haven't had an issue with the flasher can, presumably because I didn't do the front. Think I'll try modern LED's to see if their any better/improvement.

Re Speedo bulb "If only Triumph had made the dashboard ashtray aperture larger or fitted a Speaker Grill like the Dolly Sprint, life would have been so much easier!

Thanks again

Peter T