1500 steering column bush replacing them

HI I am about to replace the steering column bushes in my 1500 Spitfire. has any body done this? and do I need special tooling.

The reason for doing this is I have a new Steering wheel with boss ( Mota Lita) Xmas present. I have replaced bushes on my GT6mk2 but the top bush is long and different

to that I know of. There is slight play in the column also the indicator column switch will be replaced. 

its as basic at the GT6 just ensure the steering lock remains aligned with the hole in the tube .

if theres room ts easy to  drill off the bush lugs and push old bush down the tube when inserting the new one 

some new ones are worse than the old one , think laces like rimmers ell supposed uprated ones ????  

Pete

they are available from a many suppliers

mk1 2 3  mkIV and early 1500 use 209423 upper and lower 

late 1500 from FH100021 use 209423 lower and FAM2406  upper at £4.30

prices  ex rimers 209423  £5.24 ea  an uprated bonded bush 209423UR  £23

so need to check chassis number or have a good look see.

Pete

Hallo and thank you for your reply's. To drill out the rubber Lugs (knobs) that makes sense thanks Pete. When I have the column on the table

the idea was to soak it in WD40 and punch out the old bushes! There's along thin bush that I think goes through the column switches

Part NoFAM2406 one just's pushes out the old push in the new?  I'll see what happens!🤨 

Cheers Chris

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

they are available from a many suppliers

mk1 2 3  mkIV and early 1500 use 209423 upper and lower 

late 1500 from FH100021 use 209423 lower and FAM2406  upper at £4.30

prices  ex rimers 209423  £5.24 ea  an uprated bonded bush 209423UR  £23

so need to check chassis number or have a good look see.

Pete

Interesting. I’ll look at those numbers and see if it’s the bits I need as I failed to find anything when I looked. Everything seemed to be nos 

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm the comment about some aftermarket bushes being worse than the old ones on the car. My old ones on the GT6 had a tiny bit of play between plastic bush and the shaft, but I drilled the tabs to get them out so they are now a bit wrecked, whereas the new ones are tight to the shaft, which will give in time, but loose in the tube so the bush tries to turn in the tube and will very quickly chew up the tabs, so I might end up looking again for better ones before I put everything back.

Dave