Fuel filter

PeterH

Today I finally got round to fitting the ethanol proof fuel hose bought from the club shop some time ago. I was amazed to see the amount of crud collected in the in-line filter. I cut the plastic filter body in half for a better examination (as you do). The worrying thing was that the paper filter element was glued to two metal end plates, this glue has completely deteriorated allowing the plates to come off the element, and hence crud to get past the filter. Presumably another effect of the ethanol. I've now ordered a reusable filter from the club shop.

P1000212.JPG

55 minutes ago, PeterH said:

Presumably another effect of the ethanol.

P1000212.JPG

That's an excellent point, one I haven't checked for yet in my own filter. I try to treat the fuel filter as an annual service item, so cheap plastic ones work for me - or they used to; ethanol may make a difference to the longevity.

29 minutes ago, johny said:

Is there much in the fuel pump filter (assuming you still got the mechanical type) and wheres all this crud coming from?

Good point - I'll check the fuel pump.

The crud was mainly rust debris. I rebuilt the car a few years ago with it not having run for many years so it's out of the tank.

I was once told that the word 'crud' comes from a geological survey of the Colorado River when they couldn't identify a substance = Colorado River Unidentified Deposit. CRUD

I have come across plastic filters which allow the element to shake around adrift inside making them  quite useless

Think its more poor quality than  what fuel is used  and if the tank and system is in fair nick and not overly tampered with 

Filters can be useful or a must have waste of time

Pete