Correct front quarter light to door sealing Mk1 GT6

Could anyone help by sending me a photo of the correct sealing of the front quarter light frame into the door please?  I am restoring a 1967 mk1 GT6 but I imagine it's the same for Spitfires too. The external weather strip is the full length of the door but the internal "fuzzy" trim is not - is that right? There's a 1cm gap between the front of the quarter light frame and the door shell.  Surely that doesn't remain an open gap to let rain in!?  Also, can anyone tell me where the A post seal goes on the A post? I am guessing that's part of my issue but can't find a clear diagram that tells me where it goes.  Thanks for any help.  

11 minutes ago, Alastair Smith said:

I am restoring a 1967 mk1 GT6 but I imagine it's the same for Spitfires too.

No, it's not the same on Spitfires because Spitfires don't have a quarter-light.

There shouldn't be a big gap to the front of the door shell. It should be quite a snug fit. I don't have any photos handy right now, though.

Thanks for the quick reply.  That gap is odd then because the quarter light frame is bolted in a three points (and it's not bent) so there is no adjustment at all - at least as far as I can see.  Will take another careful look tonight.  However, the bottom three inches of the doors were rotted away so maybe there was a gap!!

there is normally some adjustment as the holes in the door are generally bigger with a large flat washer so there is some limited moves.

to sort of rotate the frame , and small amounts of lift possibles.   even on the fwd fixing screw in the front of the door .

keep it all loose and .....heave !!!

pete

Thanks Pete.  I will heave this evening!  There are definitely large washers and some play in two of the brackets but when all three bolts were in place I had no movement left at all.  Once I am confident of how it is supposed to look I can always adjust brackets and holes etc to get it snug but without a picture to go on I wasn't confident.  I took hundreds of pictures when I dismantled the care 5 years ago but, of course, not one of the front quarter light fit to the door casing!  If anyone could share a photo or two around the quarter light I'd be really grateful.  I suspect I am going to have a tough job getting the fuzzy trim in as well as the door capping when it arrives. 

Cant help with the fit but tomget the fuzzy and outer seals clipped on  you need a slim  folded strip  to hold the clips   there is a suggested one in the  W manual .

many seals are thicker than the originals ,makes it more difficult

First tie a length of cotton around the clip so when it pings off you can retrieve it

Slide the tool  and clip along from the rear of the door

With six pairs of hands , while pulling clip up , have a bit of wood and small mallet tap the seal down while pulling clip up

Hold the cotton with  the...... other hand   ready to rescue the clip from inside the door

Pete

On 20/03/2019 at 12:33, Alastair Smith said:

there's still a gap but I will fill that somehow

Alistair,  I had/have exactly the same problem on mine and used a piece of the outer weatherstrip trimmed to size and held in place with some black sealant.  Seems to work and does not look particularly out of place, except to those who ........

Dick