Fitting smiths oil temp gauge sender

Blitz

Hi

Is their another location I could fit an oil temp sender unit other than via the sump plug. (Spit4) The sump plugs are small so do not allow much space to drill out and thread. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

Grant 

would it fit in a gallery plug , this would measure the incoming oil temp rather than the sump contents 

and is  a small thread  whats  the size of the  sender ??  i guess theres a bulb like a water temp to collect the data 

make an  stepped  adaptor to fit the sump tapping ???   

Pete

If you have an oil cooler sandwich plate, there is an ideal spot on that to drill and tap for a sender, just above where the return from the cooler enters back into the oil gallery which, as Pete says above,  is exactly the point where you want to measure the oil temp from.  I might be over-cautious, but if you put it into a gallery plug hole it's possible you could impeded oil flow slightly. 

If interested, I'll post a picture of mine and give you the drill and tap sizes.  One potential issue is that it is less easy to seal the sender, as it sits into a curved (rather than flat) surface and it took me several attempts to seal it properly (using PTFE tape) even though the sender has a tapered thread.

3 hours ago, Sparky_Spit said:

If you have an oil cooler sandwich plate, there is an ideal spot on that to drill and tap for a sender, just above where the return from the cooler enters back into the oil gallery which, as Pete says above,  is exactly the point where you want to measure the oil temp from.  I might be over-cautious, but if you put it into a gallery plug hole it's possible you could impeded oil flow slightly. 

If interested, I'll post a picture of mine and give you the drill and tap sizes.  One potential issue is that it is less easy to seal the sender, as it sits into a curved (rather than flat) surface and it took me several attempts to seal it properly (using PTFE tape) even though the sender has a tapered thread.

Pics welcome please. 

And yes take your point on sump temp not ideal. 

I will post a pic of the sender unit later after iv completed the Mrs job list 🙄

I fitted mine to the sump plug. Or at least used an adaptor, so no faff.

I know sump temp is not the perfect place, but it was simple. 

(However, I have since removed all worry gauges except fuel and water temp. Life is more simple now!)

• Haha 1

An 1/8 NPT tap needs a 10mm drilled hole, which is handy.  From the picture below you see that the business end of the sender sits nicely in the oil flow back from the oil cooler (or the inline thermostat if not yet up to temp) and the wiring terminal is clear from any engine bits that might have been in the way, and easy to get to.  My sandwich plate is a Setrab one but I think Mocal ones are the same.

sandwich plate.JPG

• Thanks 1