Front Brake cylinders

Jimbob

I have a Herald with drums all round.  After a longish trip (about 80miles), the next day the brake pedal went straight to the floor.  I found 3 of the 4 cylinders at the front were leaking.  I've ordered new cylinders from Rimmers, but I wondered if there was anything else I should check out.  The run the previous day was quite up and down with a lot of brake use, but I didn't expect this.

When were the cylinders last replaced.?

It may be that if they were quite old then the higher than normal temperature killed the seals.

Replacement seals would probably sort it but as you have gone for new cylinders then that is the full answer.

Roger

all wheel cylinders will have some small seapage  the seal its lubricating the bore so small deposits under the dust seal is quite normal

dribbles and a full leak is a failure .

do check the master cyl as thisnwould be more likely to give a sudden drop in the pedal than a cyl failure   which is normally more  

gradual  leading up to total failure 

pete

3 hours ago, Jimbob said:

I have a Herald with drums all round.  After a longish trip (about 80miles), the next day the brake pedal went straight to the floor.  I found 3 of the 4 cylinders at the front were leaking.  I've ordered new cylinders from Rimmers, but I wondered if there was anything else I should check out.  The run the previous day was quite up and down with a lot of brake use, but I didn't expect this.

What is the current situation regarding replacement shoes? I know that when I had my drum-brake Herald they were almost impossible to source, and the only option was to have the backplates re-lined. Have you had any difficulty sourcing any?

Thanks for the advice.  I'll check the master cylinder too.

I bought a spare set of front brake shoes for eBay a while back but I saw when I ordered the parts that Rimmers are now selling them again now.