Opinions on wheels / refurb of existing.

iana

0.005" is fine   0.015" is higher than an open  limit tolerance of generally 0.010" as a manufacturing standard  so the hub had some runout above normal 

but nothing too alarming  and at the drum diameter is probably fine   

0.015" on the hub mounting face is excessive 

do make sure the drum retaing screws are underflush as if these make contact with the wheel it will distort on tightening the wheel nuts 

Pete

23 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

0.005" is fine   0.015" is higher than an open  limit tolerance of generally 0.010" as a manufacturing standard  so the hub had some runout above normal 

but nothing too alarming  and at the drum diameter is probably fine   

0.015" on the hub mounting face is excessive 

do make sure the drum retaing screws are underflush as if these make contact with the wheel it will distort on tightening the wheel nuts 

Pete

I've often wondered, that the shafts on these independent suspension cars can't be that straight, after all these years?

somewhere there would be a specification for the assembly  

i just use the sort of tolerances im used in truck  manuafacturing of the 1962 - 2003 vintage 

things like couplings had a runout tol of 0.003" to 0.005"  any undefined had a open tol of 0.010"  

unless the drawiings stated otherwise 

with more modern machining tolerances may well be tighter on modern cars 

we had some CNC stuff but the old mulit chuck lathes for facing 20" hubs and brake drums managed the 0.005 easily

• 1 month later...

hello everyone

Thought I would give you a status update. As proposed one of the rear wheel hubs was bent quite a lot, managed to get a NOS one from Mick Dolphin (very helpful guy). It seems to have fixed the issue.

I used the proper  hub puller from Canley classics and an air rachet to remove the hubs, worked like a dream and no need for a press or to take everything apart

After putting it all back together I measure the wobble using a dial meter on the inside edge of the wheel (just in from the lip) as Front near side = 045", front off side = 020", rear near side = 030" rear off side =045"

once again thanks for all your help

Peter