Dolomite A pillar rust - opinions

llessur

I have the option to buy a barn find 1976 Dolomite 1850 - I love them as my family had them when I was little back in the 80s but I've not had much to do with them ever since (although I've had a Spitfire in the past and a 2500S now).

I haven't been to see it yet but the owner has advised it's original and largely rust free (thanks South Aussie climate) with the exception of some rust above the front door hinges on the driver's side.

I've attached a couple of photos that the owner sent me - I appreciate it's really difficult to give too solid an opinion based on photos but can anyone let me know if this looks typical for a dolly and, if so, whether there are likely to be nastier things lurking beneath?

Externally, the scuttle panel and windscreen pillars are apparently solid.

I appreciate that this is probably fairly little rust compared to a UK car but it would be good to know what I was getting myself in for, seeing as I'd have to pay someone to do any welding for me.

What do you reckon?

received_348215009185551.thumb.jpeg.d2d129231911221705284c74807efb1a.jpegreceived_473523886527685.thumb.jpeg.88a261955f0fee1bc678bc0cd057827e.jpeg

My Toledo, bought 11 years ago, was similar. And I haven't done anything to remedy the situation. Probably as it has a low value and isn't part of the MoT.

All I have done is scrape it back. I may actually have used some fibreglass, I have on the roof gutters. (But no problems) and it has been waxed inside. 

No idea how complex a repair would be, hopefully straightforward if that is the route you wanted to go down. May take a while owing to panel shapes.

(Hope life is treating you well!)

Cheers Clive - was hoping that the rot is confined to this outer skin of the A pillar and this is not the final stage of the structure disintegrating from the inside out. Will know more hopefully when I go to see it.

Then I have the dilemma of deciding whether to give up the 2500 for a dolly. I've always wanted the latter but I've spent some time and money on the former (plus there's the whole 6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder thing). The wife won't let me keep more than one classic. Will see how the heart strings tug at me when I go to take a look.

All is good over here thanks - although a bit annoyed about the bouts of nice weather you seem to be having in recent years. I didn't move 9000 miles across the world for nothing... Hope life is treating you and the family well. Enjoy the sun!

You will find the rust more surface than anything else Llessur, What is it about a Dolomite and a 2500S??? I have one of each both auto's... I could not part with either :)  I do think the 2500S will win the day though? Maybe? No? Have both...

Tony.

Cheers all - will go and take a look this weekend and take my trusty prodding screwdriver with me to assess the situation.

Would love to keep both cars but I am under strict instructions not to dump park any other "classics" on our driveway. I tried testing the boundaries by bringing a Volvo 240 wagon home a year or so ago but that didn't go down so well with the other half (despite my best attempts to frame it as a gift for her based on a throwaway comment she made 10 years previously about seeing one for sale at some point in her past). That was sold on fairly sharpish.

Head says stick with the 2500, heart may say otherwise based on childhood memories. Will find out when I see it...

• Like 1

The dolly has a few engine design issues. The water pump is a dubious design, though can be rebuilt cheaply/easily, though you need access to a lathe to clean the face. Or buy a new pump (,ouch, plus quality?) As to using angled head studs, i have decided it is just dreadful. Makes getting the head off a potential nightmare.

Plus side. I still have the Toledo, with tr7 engine. Though that is a bit sick, think a ring has gone..... But the engines are economical, and pretty willing. 

On balance, the big saloon is a "safer" bet I reckon.

(And yes, all good here. Daughters grown up, one getting married, weather rather nice though have been in France. 45 one day. Oh, and first time in 35 years I am playing cricket in Hurst on Friday)

Cheers Clive, I knew a bit about the potential issues in getting the head off but I wasn't aware about the water pump. Will factor that in to my decision. To be honest I think I might end up coming down in favour of keeping the 2500 at the moment - our little girl is 18 months old and my garage time is pretty limited. The thought of having to find time to re-do recommissioning work that I have already done on another car (brakes, wheel bearings, carb rebuilds, removing 40 years of electrical bodges etc etc) doesn't seem like the quickest way to be out and about on the road rather than stuck in a garage.

I'll definitely take a look though - I might think differently when I see it in the flesh.

Good luck for Friday - the cricket pitch is right behind my parents' house and I played in that field loads as a kid. I do miss the greenery of the UK sometimes - it gets a little brown and crispy over here...

You have to take a look at it, otherwise it will niggle away at you. But if your car is sorted, and with a little one consuming time (and money!) It is simpler to keep the saloon. I still wish i had bought a saloon a few years ago, I just missed out on one. Still, eldest daughter has said I have to keep the Toledo so it can be used as a wedding car when she gets married. No immenent sign of that at the moment...