Spitfire 1500 fuel leakage under carburetor

Pietje precies

Hello there

Each time after driving a tour there is a leakage under the front carburetor. The rear carburetor remains dry. We leave the car outside the garage for some hours and after that we push the car inside. We do not start the engine The next morning the air in the garage is filled with fuel damp. The doors of the garage in front and rear are set open all day. After two days the smell of fuel is low. The stops in the top of the float chamber are renewed and the hoses from float chamber to carburetor too. The leakege comes from above the nozzle adjust nut.

What can cause this leakage ?

2018-08-27 lekkage carb.2.jpg

Hi Piet,

A good diagnosis from Pete.

The fuel will leak from the jet if the petrol level in float chamber is higher than the bridge of the carburetor body. This leakage will tend to be most apparent on slow running or with the engine just switched off because under load conditions the float chamber is being continually drained by the engine's requirement for fuel.

How to fix it? The root of the issue is fuel level too high in the float chamber. Three common reasons for this:

1) Needle valve in float chamber worn and therefore not cutting off fuel entry when the float chamber is full. Solution; replace valve

2) Float itself is faulty. Can be cracked (fills with fuel) or worn where it acts on needle (insufficient lift) or for float with adjustable metal tabs the tabs are bent to too low a position: In essence; replace float.

Needle and float replacement can be done without removing the carb from the or upsetting the mixture adjustment. Obtain replacements from a reputable source (e.g. Burlen, Moss) not eBay cheapies.

3) An third and additional reason is replacement of the standard fuel pump with one that pumps at too high pressure and defeats the needle valve in one or both carbs.

Hope that helps. If you want more detail than this do post again and I can fill in some of the finer details if required.

Regards

Chris

Amd to add if the hoses have been fiddled with there a good chance you have made the dreaded rubber slivers caused by pushing hose onto metal pipes  small bits get cut off the inside of the hose 

They  float  about and cause chaos jamming in the back of the float valves

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I took some time for the Spitfire. I measured a difference of 2 mm in the adjustment of the idle screws. Maybe this causes the fuel leakage. I tuned the front idle screw upward until the same adjustment of the rear carburator idle screw. After having started the engine en kept it running until the temp meter was rising and then I stopped the engine. There was some fuel smell in the garage. This morning this was not present anymore. Is this THE solution ??

Afstel versrschil engels.jpg

That nut adjusts the jet height relative to the air piston needle by turning it up you have weaken the mixture on  the carb. The idle is controlled by the screw on the body which act as a stop for the throttle spindle

Adjusting the jet upwards will have some effect on the leakage mostly if the fuel bowl levels are too high

The jet that moves with the nut is not sealed . 

Whilst the mixture was out of balance compared to the rear carb , you have just made the mixture leaner , not solved the fuel height problem, I suggest there is a float needle problem , the needle platform on the float can get worn lightly and ridges jam the needle valve

From closing properly  as do debris in thebfuel supply which jam in the back of the valve

Hope that helps

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Pete  I agree with your technical explanation. Never adjust the idle screw when the engine runs fine. But after having adjusted the front idle screw the is no fuel lekakage present anymore. Maybe that some vibrations caused the idle screw to turn into the lower/wrong position. Let's wait and see what happens. Lats weekend we had a ride with the Spitfire and I noticed no direct negative at the engine. It ran as usual ( I think) Piet

• 2 weeks later...