replacement brake drum quality

Pete Lewis

I purchased a pair of  2000   replacement brake drums form a reputable supplier , they sat in the cupboard for a good while , fitted last week and immeadiate brake hammer and nodding dog braking obviously made from recycled thruppenny bits .

both are in trouble a quick check shows they have 3 lobes  so obviously been gripped in a three jaw lathe   chuck and distorted whilst being machined .

complete rubbish  ,  bought on a whim when at a daft price , ....that excercise   was a waste od time ,  not too many ££s  so the old ones will carry on and these  ....they look nice but  destined for the bin 

its this sort of improper  process that ruined baulk rings some while ago

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I purchased a pair of  2000   replacement brake drums form a reputable supplier , they sat in the cupboard for a good while , fitted last week and immeadiate brake hammer and nodding dog braking obviously made from recycled thruppenny bits .

both are in trouble a quick check shows they have 3 lobes  so obviously been gripped in a three jaw lathe   chuck and distorted whilst being machined .

complete rubbish  ,  bought on a whim when at a daft price , ....that excercise   was a waste od time ,  not too many ££s  so the old ones will carry on and these  ....they look nice but  destined for the bin 

its this sort of improper  process that ruined baulk rings some while ago

Pete

Refurbished, or new? I have some to have tidied up but they'll go to the in-laws Engineering Works and so I'll have someone to shout at if they make a bish.

(Never tried baulk rings for braking, they wouldn't fit my hubs.... )