Spitfire4 Suspension Recommendations

For shocks Koni. Best production shocks for our cars. Mine are now about 20 years/60k+ old, and still perfect, if a little scruffy.

I can't recommend Gaz. Friend just taken a set off his car after 10k. Fit only for the bin.... Spax are essentially the same as Gaz. Avo use a daft bush that disintegrates within a few thousand miles.

Bushes, superflex are the best out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot depends how much you like to tinker.

If the suspension's just tired and needs a refresh then yes to poly bushes (I've used both Polybush and Superflex and both seem like new after many miles) but probably just standard dampers.

If you like to tinker then 1" lower springs at the front and a 1/2" or 3/4" spring spacer at the back work well, along with adjustable shocks.

• Koni's are fine but boy are they a PITA to adjust - you basically have to strip the suspension down every time you want to adjust them.
  • I've got Spax on the rear of my Spitfire and they've given the bast part of 20 years trouble free service.  Adjustment can be done on-car but is a bit of a pain as it's via a slotted screw type adjuster and you can never seem to be able to quite get the screwdriver in and to turn enough to adjust without removing the wheel, which means jacking the car up.
  • Personally I'd recomment Avo's, which I have on the front of my Spit. and rear of my 2000.  Both have given trouble-free service, probably 15 years on the Spit., and both can be adjusted easilly on the car too (knurled knob for firmness and a 'C' spanner for the adjustable seats on the Spitfire fronts.

When I was looking at different shocks I found roughly equal number of people who swore by, and swore at each brand.

27 minutes ago, Mjit said:

A lot depends how much you like to tinker.

If the suspension's just tired and needs a refresh then yes to poly bushes (I've used both Polybush and Superflex and both seem like new after many miles) but probably just standard dampers.

If you like to tinker then 1" lower springs at the front and a 1/2" or 3/4" spring spacer at the back work well, along with adjustable shocks.

• Koni's are fine but boy are they a PITA to adjust - you basically have to strip the suspension down every time you want to adjust them.
  • I've got Spax on the rear of my Spitfire and they've given the bast part of 20 years trouble free service.  Adjustment can be done on-car but is a bit of a pain as it's via a slotted screw type adjuster and you can never seem to be able to quite get the screwdriver in and to turn enough to adjust without removing the wheel, which means jacking the car up.
  • Personally I'd recomment Avo's, which I have on the front of my Spit. and rear of my 2000.  Both have given trouble-free service, probably 15 years on the Spit., and both can be adjusted easilly on the car too (knurled knob for firmness and a 'C' spanner for the adjustable seats on the Spitfire fronts.

When I was looking at different shocks I found roughly equal number of people who swore by, and swore at each brand.

Avo changed the bottom bush design some years ago. The metal tube the bush sits in is only a fraction of the size of the bush , so it now wears very very fast.

It is great to get recommendations for products from named brands that have lasted for so many years. But..... as has been discussed so many times on this forum, what is the build like now, who owns the brand name, what is the profit margin on the product... can you even get it? KYB shocks have had great write ups here but the rears for a MkIV Spit are unobtainable. After 12 months I just gave up looking and bought a pair of Munroes. 25 years ago a brand leader, good reputation, these days , hit and miss but they suit me and are certainly better better than what I took off.

Ah yes, KYB are indeed excellent. Downside is they only import a few each year, so but them when you see them.

Koni still the best out there, though I am led to believe the paint finish is not as durable. However, they are not cheap (maybe a clue to why they are maintaining quality)