Moto Lita Steering Wheel Boss Measurements MK3 Spitfire

Hi

Does anyone know what the depth of a moto lita steering wheel boss for a Mk3 spitfire should be, the measurement from where the back of the steering wheel fits to the back of the boss which fits on the splines. My steering wheel boss is rubbing on the back of my steering column and shorting out, this is probably why it had been disconnected by the previous owner?. I have solved this by putting a plastic ring inbetween the back and the steering column but would like to have a bit of the back of the boss boss machined off to give some play. Only trouble is I have to take it somewhere to be machined so an exact measurement would be good if someone has one. I cannot measure it as there is not a definate shoulder which the boss sits on on the column. Hope this makes sense?

I think it should be a moto lita B20 boss, so need the front to back depth measurement if anyone has it please?

Mmmm also when I lean on the steering wheel or turn it whilst the car isn't moving the horn sounds, anyone know what is likely to be grounding out, is this liklely to be specific to the steering wheel or boss or a problem with the steering column?

Hi,

Measures 44mm from back and 53mm from mounting face where steering wheel  abuts to.

You shouldn't need to machine anything, the column is adjustable within limits; either you need to adjust the sliding joint of the inner column to bring the steering wheel closer to you or move the outer column down. Your choice depending where you want the steering wheel to sit.

David

• Like 1

Thanks, will have a look didn’t realise the column was adjustable, the back of the steering wheel boss has been rubbing against the back of the steering column and has left a ring in the boss. Having looked at the schematic It looks as if worn bushes could be causing my other issue!?

On 31/08/2019 at 18:50, Mad4classics said:

Hi,

Measures 44mm from back and 53mm from mounting face where steering wheel  abuts to.

You shouldn't need to machine anything, the column is adjustable within limits; either you need to adjust the sliding joint of the inner column to bring the steering wheel closer to you or move the outer column down. Your choice depending where you want the steering wheel to sit.

David

I have an issue with the horn activating when I lean on it, is this likely to be that the plastic steering column bearings have worn? Does anyone know Is it worth buying standard or uprated ones? Standard are about £6 and uprated around £26 each?

Standard are fine, unless the uprated ones are easier to fit... but your horn issue is definitely a short (the bushes won't affect that) between the steering wheel boss and the column. Isn't the horn meant to sound when you lean on it? Or do you mean the entire wheel? Take the horn push out and see if it's shorting against the wheel; it should be insulated until depressed.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Standard are fine, unless the uprated ones are easier to fit... but your horn issue is definitely a short (the bushes won't affect that) between the steering wheel boss and the column. Isn't the horn meant to sound when you lean on it? Or do you mean the entire wheel? Take the horn push out and see if it's shorting against the wheel; it should be insulated until depressed.

Colin is right, both the inner and outer column are at earth potential so a short between these doesn't affect anything.

The circuit should be made by the horn push connecting the boss to slip ring in the top of the column. The steering wheel boss is earthed by a connection under the radiator and via a shorting link accross the flexible joint next to the steering rack.

From your description of leaning on the steering sounding the horn ,it could a short in the boss itself, or a wire chaffed through.

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

😂 Yes, when I lean on the entire steering wheel, I have put a temporary plastic insulating disc between the boss and the steering wheel as this was shorting but if I lean on the steering wheel it honks. It is obviously shorting somewhere and on a USA forum someone was suggesting worn bushes could allow lateral movement and a short?  I am pleased the horn is now working but as I get in and out of the car I am drawing attention to myself!;-)

11 minutes ago, rolyberkin said:

Perhaps adjusting the steering column outer shaft back may help?

Is the outer shaft so close to the boss that it's actually able to touch the ring when you lean on it?

The horn should only only sound when the slip ring is connected to earth so removing the horn push or the insulated pencil should break the circuit.

David

• Like 1

David, as per my first message and the photo below I was thinking the boss was the incorrect one for the wheel as it had been rubbing against it, I have cut the top of a pot to act as an insulator and that stops the boss grounding but obviously something  else is shorting behind it? As you suggested above I will have a go at adjusting the column. The Hummous pot lid is literally has .5mm clearance.

IMG_6602.JPG

7 minutes ago, rolyberkin said:

David, as per my first message and the photo below I was thinking the boss was the incorrect one for the wheel as it had been rubbing against it, I have cut the top of a pot to act as an insulator and that stops the boss grounding but obviously something  else is shorting behind it? As you suggested above I will have a go at adjusting the column. The Hummous pot lid is literally has .5mm clearance.

IMG_6602.JPG

The inner and outer column plus the boss are all connected to earth one way or another. The brass slip ring you see when you remove the boss has to be connected to earth via the pencil and the horn push to operate the horn. From you're description it looks like the back of the boss is contacting the slip ring therefore bypassing the pencil and horn push.

There needs to be 2-3 mm between the horn boss and outer column approx.

David

• Like 1

The outer column is held by the clamp in the foot well and the top clamp where the bolts are a bit of a fiddle to access- so four bolts in all , captive fixings, to loosen and you can wiggle the outer column down.

When I had to do the inner column I found that the sliding joint was rusted solid so had to gently slide if out after disconnecting at the flexible joint and apply a blowtorch - they end up not being moved for years! On the MK3 there's no steering lock to get in the way but you've got to be careful not to disturb the bushes if you decide to go that way. Easier job with the top down!

David

NB. You'll need to release the  inner column sliding joint clamp to adjust either the outer or inner column position, since the outer column should sit against the inner column clamp.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

hence the slide clamp and funny crinkle strip in the dash clamp

Is THAT what that's for? Never knew that! Just replaced an indicator stalk so had it all to remove then replace, and i just put it back as found without really worrying as to why exactly it was there.