Engine mounts (rubber bonded)

daverclasper

Hello Dave,

A lot depends when they were manufactured, as you can imagine the UK car industry had more than it fair share of interested parties to make stuff - some excellent and some less so; I'm certainly not including items made since 2000.

The important point to check is that they are not delaminating - by that I mean any indication of the rubber lifting from their metal base. Additionally any noticeable cracks where the rubber is perishing. 

The mounts should be substantial, if they feel lighter than you expected then it may be a modern repro. 

If the mounting stud threads are metric, then need I say more !!

I've got a set of NOS engine mounts (I think 🙄 !!) and will check for you - maybe able to do that later this evening.

Hope the above assists.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Dave ,

Further to my last I have checked my spare NOS engine mounts and also a spare NOS OD g/box mounting. None have markings.

The engine mounts are Imperial thread.

Regards.

Richard.

These are one of those components, along with suspension arm and diff bushes, that can look past it but actually have life left in them. Unless theres real evidence of the rubber coming away from the backing or severe splitting I would leave the old ones alone as the replacements can sometimes last a very short time....

24 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Thanks a lot for the input chaps.

No paint marks, though feel quite heavy and an AF nut fits. Very fine surface crazing on rubber, so hopefully ok.

they were £20 inc postage. My current ones are working ok, though look ancient. One of those, will I ever need them?, buys.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, the surface crazing on the rubber and the fact they have unf threads suggest to me that they were "spurious" so to speak items from the 70's 80's era. Not as good as genuine, but a good copy and are far better than the Chinese crap on the market. My brother used to sell these copies to the trade years ago, and that crazing was the way to define them from the real thing. So use them when the time comes :) They will be ok.

Tony.