Starter motor it it fused

Andrew

Hello to you all. I have a Herald 13/60 a late one 1971 registered.  Is the starter motor fused as standard and if not is it worth fitting a fuse to the system and if so what size amp would you recommend only asking as I am fitting a new pre engaged type bomb get from club shop.

thank you in advance 

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

The starter motor is not fused as it is regulated / controlled by the solenoid which is fused by means of the smaller connecting wires which run to the ignition and of course the OE Lucas fuse box. 

Bearing in mind the starter motor cable is capable of delivering from 110amps upwards minimum - that would be the size of the fuse required !!

Therefore the starter motor does not require an aux fuse.

Regards.

Richard.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Thanks classiclife. Just been under the dash and spotted a 30 amp green blade type fuse any idea what that is for 

Andrew 

Could be for absolutely anything - its not a part of the Triumph factory installation and will be something that a previous owner has installed for something that they thought was necessary at the time they fitted it.

When working on old cars, NEVER underestimate the "ingenuity" of a previous owner.

Hello Andrew,

Some owners go over the top somewhat when it comes to fuse strength - the idea is for it to blow when the issue occurs not after the loom has burnt to a cinder !!

Is there any wiring attached and if so any clue as to its direction. 

That is the strength of fuse you may see being used if you have a heated rear window - unless you have a CV 😊

I've known some people use that size fuse for an electric fan and / or hazard warning lights; again too over the top unless your fan is rated at 220W+. Hazard warning lights will settle happily with a 15amp fuse.

Regards.

Richard.