Windscreen Wipers GT6 Mk1

NeilF

I am not sure if it has been the same in the 12 years I have owned my Mk1 GT6, but I have a problem in as much as the passenger side wiper blade when it sweep across the windscreen hits the screen surround and goes over it. When stopped it that position the blade is some 3 inches off the windscreen. The wipers do their job, however it is the noise of them hitting the surround that annoys me.

At a recent meeting I was able to compare how my blades swept against another Mk1, and then I noticed a difference. The passenger drive spindle on the car I looked at was inline with the edge of the bonnet hump and the washer was to the right of the wiper arm, looked from the front. On my car, the windscreen drive spindle is some 7 inches to the right of the hump edge. I then looked at a Mk2, and the spindle is in the same position as mine.

Canleys show a different wiper motor for the MK1 and Mk2. My motor is of the Mk1 type. The Mk2 type is no longer available. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2 motors., or has come across this problem before. My Mk1 is a 1968 build, so it is possible that it has a Mk2 windscreen surround. I do not know if in the past it had a rebuild with a MK2 surround, and the MK1 motor was kept. A possibility. My solution at the moment would be to have a much shorter wiper blade on the passenger side, although that would effect visibility.

I would appreciate any comments.

NeilF

P1110064.JPG

The original MK1 motor was a square Lucas type ( a two-speed version similar in shape to the Herald version), the MK2 had the round type. I'm assuming that as the round version used in other cars, like the TR range or Spitfire, is essentially the same then you would expect it to be readily available.

My own GT6 Mk1 has closely spaced wipers - see photo - but the windscreen surround ends at the rubber strip and not below the wipers, so even replacing screen surrounds, assuming they were interchangeable between models (and I know some aren't) wouldn't affect the wheelbox spacing. Is it possible a replacement tub has been used, or even just this section from a donor vehicle?

DSCF7432.jpg.352730fd3980e4c8b453dde19ddd6837.jpg

You can buy the MK3 wiper motor easily enough (new) so I'll have a quick look to see what's available - in fact Rimmers are showing the same motor for Mk2 and Mk3 in stock for £48, part number 517621, and there are plenty on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LUCAS-14W-2-SPEED-WIPER-MOTOR-MINI-SPRITE-MIDGET-MGB-SPITFIRE-LAND-ROVER/202778002937?fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph|Model%3AGT6&epid=7017014114&hash=item2f3682c5f9:g:sZAAAOSwp6tde6er

The motor won't affect the position of the wiper blades; your chrome insert on the surround appears to be quite high on the side that I can see but on my car the wiper stops short of the finisher, although it does raise up slightly due to the curvature of the glass. If your wiper is going down over the chrome at the bottom, just move the wiper arm around on the spindle slightly so that it stops further up. If you can find similar arms with a more pronounced 'crank' in the arm they'll also help keep the blade at a better angle.

Pete/Colin,

Thanks for the replies. The wipers park as shown on my picture. It is possible that the metalwork around the windscreen was replaced some time ago. The wiper motor fitted is the same as shown on the Canley diagrams for a Mk1. It appears that the Mk2 has the same placing of the wipers, so either the Mk2 motor or the gearing must be different. It would be handy to know which it is.

NeilF

Canley Wiper motors.pdf

If you do not have the round (14W) type motor then fit one. Then fit a gear wheel to give you the apprx correct sweep.

When your nearside blade goes piste does the off side blade move quite a lone way over to the passenger side (it should do if your probem is as I understand it)

Do make sure that the wheel boxes and tubes are in good order.

I did this to my TR4A in 2017 as the square type motor (DR3) is iffy at best.  

I had to fit a 90 degree wheel to get the correct sweep (apprx 120 degree's) but I left the wheel boxes as is (for the 4A)

When your nearside blade goes piste does the off side blade move quite a lone way over to the passenger side (it should do if your probem is as I understand it)

Roger