Spitfire indicators

cwillst

I recently bought a mark 4 Spitfire, realising a long held dream after having failed to own one in my youth. It is proving to be a delight to drive, I had forgotten how much more fun an old car is compared to the modern armchair drive. Also more challenging. Anyway to get to the point.

The indicators don't self-cancel and there is no noticeable noise as they repeat. Is this how they would have been originally, or has age and prior maintenance now left it quiet and slightly worn? A bit like it's owner! I am getting better at cancelling them but still sometimes miss the flashing light giving my wife and other road users another chance to abuse me.

What solutions have members found? I saw one in this month's magazine had installed 2 buzzers with tape to reduce the volume. Has anyone found a more elegant solution? Or if they should cancel and click, then is there a fix possible?

I've never heard my Herald indicators click, but they do self cancel but only after I adjusted the mechanism that does it. If you take off the plastic cowl from the indicator stalk you should be able to see 2 small levers (see image), with the road wheels straight ahead you should also be able to see a small lug on the steering shaft in the middle of the 2 levers, if it isn't that's your problem.

To adjust mine I undone the steering knuckle just above the rack, removed the shaft and rotated until the lug was between the 2 levers on the switch. You'll then probably have to remove your steering wheel to centralise afterwards. There is a flat face on one of the splines on either the rack or the column (can't remember which), so the rotation to get the shaft in the correct position needs to be on the other spline.

Hope that all makes sense....

indicator_001.jpg

i have fitted a buzzer kit from andy capy who supplies the mg owners club with electronic kit.

look him up on line and phone your order asking for the wire to be extended to reach the indicator relay if it is fitted behind the battery

he is a top guy and very helpful,it is easy to fit and works fine.

the wiring is different to the mg but quite obvious to fit

Here is a picture of the steering column from Canley Classics spares catalogue, a very useful source of help. Part number 140549 is the auto cancelling device. Yours may be missing or, there's something wrong with the corresponding bits on the stalk. There are two lobs connected by a spring, a very fiddly mechanism!

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-wheel-and-columns

Thanks Darren,Doug and David,

The suggestions I will try out as soon as I get a weekend not ruined by work or family events. The previous owner has mentioned changing the steering column so there is a good chance that it just needs a twist.

I will reply again once I have explored what's under the cowl. If that fails I will try the buzzers.

• 1 year later...

Just to close this thread off, one year later! When I looked at the set up, having removed the cowl, nothing matched the description. It turns out that during renovation a 1500 steering column and shroud was fitted by the PO, along with the 1500 indicators stalks. So the original steering wheel does not have the lugs to engage with the self cancelling mechanism. So the fix will be a new steering wheel with the matching 1500 boss.

I write this in case someone else hits the same issue. My car will never be concourse but remains a wonderful fun drive and looks great. I am leaning all the time about the car. The body off restoration has been done very well but I suspect with a 1500 donor car for many parts.